2002 Polaris 800 DI.. Limp mode?

Have a friend that has a 2002 polaris 800 DI , And he said after just a few mins of riding the rpms get limited. I would call that going into "Limp mode" That is what i call it working on automotive engines. Is there anything i can check or have him check to cure this problem.

Is there any "engine codes" or such on these ski's. I don't know too much about about Jet Ski's.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Polaris forum on Greenhulk

It will be tricky to provide guidance unless you have the watercraft at hand to do some testing.

The display provides text warning messages in addition to a red flashing lamp. Knowing what warning messages ( if any) and whether there was a red flashing lamp would be a start.

Any other info like service history, whether this problem happens repeatedly, etc?

Yeah, It does it everytime. He's not had the ski very long. It had an injector issue when he bought it, And we have fixed that.(I had a thread here a few months back with that issue) He ran it for a few days with no problems. Now It runs perfect for a short while, and then kicks into some sort of limp mode(Thats what i would call it anyways) After it does that the ski still idles fine. But its just limited.

I will probably try to pick the ski up this weekend. And get my hands on it.

I'm thinking he said its got a aftermarket chip in it.

He also had a water tube that had a plastic fitting of some sort that was leaking water into the hull. He fixed that somehow. He might have just plugged it, Its probably needed lol.. I'm just trying to learn all before i pick the ski up.

So you say it should tell me on the gauge cluster whats going on?

Thanks again K4! (You helped me with the previous issue)

(You might start seeing me around, I picked up a Used ski that is blowed up. I'm just going to mess with it a bit. I'm on the river 3-5 times a week in my boat, I love i t out there. My buddys all have Jet Ski's and i end up working on all of them lol )

+1
    No aftermarket chips exist for these Polaris Ficht engines, OEM only.

There is a plastic water tube that runs alongside the jet pump. It supplies all the cooling water for the engine. It must not be plugged!

Where that cooling tube passes through the pump base and into the hull it should be sealed to prevent water from seeping in. There is a simple rubber o-ring trapped between the pump base and the hull itself. This square shouldered seal is often not 100% water tight so it is common to apply some sealant to the shoulder of the water tube before reinstalling the tube.

If there are regular round o-rings on the forward end of the water tube they are used to space the tube back so that the rear end sits snugly into the fitting on jet pump nozzle.

If the RPM is limited to 3500 then the EMM may think it is in Reverse mode. 3500RPM is also the limit when the EMM detects overheat and some other issues.

The water leak was some type of solenoid. That i've read we can cap the fitting on exhaust and throw away the solenoid. And cap the T fitting.

(Finally got some time to read your links in sig :thumbsup: )

I don't know the exact RPM that its limited too. But can find out.

Ok, He bought this ski off a guy that was supposed to work on ski's. I'm guessing he can work on them but doesn't know anything about them. Because he told us it had an "Aftermarket chip"

And i've fixed a few of his "rigged up fixes" already.

Hope to take a look at it thursday -sunday this week while off work.

Got any ideas where to start?

I got some new hose clams and hose. Because i remember he had some oldish looking stuff with zipties.

+1
    The fuel injected engines can have more than 30PSI in the fuel lines.

Look for abrasion where the fuel lines rub on the injector brackets.

I may be offline Thursday through Monday.

I replaced the fuel lines when i worked on it previously. They should be good to go, but i am going to check over everything with detail this weekend.

The ski starts right now and runs well, but just about a half mile down the river it jumps into limp mode.

Thanks!

Kyle

Thread Information