Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4hrs on the FZS and loving it!

Went out for some high speed runs yesterday after installing the R&D grate w/ pump seal kit a couple days earlier and pulled off a 67 twice in two tries with almost a full tank and trimmed up one notch. The GPS program on my phone doesnt go to 1/10's of a mph so I need to upgrade that. Not sure if there is an app on the android market that is better than SpeedView but I'll be looking into it.

The water was not quite glass but it was very smooth. I am pretty happy with this considering I am 200lbs and the tank was almost full, plus the ski should get even faster with more hours from what I have read on here. I'm sure my riding technique will also improve as well. It was probably 85 degrees out and very high humidity as it was just finished raining.

It is amazing how quickly I am warming up to the machine. After only 4 hours I feel much more comfortable on the throttle and with powering out of the turns. I have also had the chance to ride out in some pretty rough chop and it handled like a champ.

I am open to a few more mods but I really want to keep it as stock as possible under the seat. I have the Y.E.S warranty and would hate to screw that up or take any chances on the 2011 s/c clutch. If anything I might remove the stock airbox and throw on an intake but I dont really want to remove the ribbon or mess with the exhaust or ECU. However, I am very interested in Jim's modded VX ride plate. I just wonder if I order one today is there a long wait to get it back or are they already in stock?

Is it easily possible to hit 70 mph with just the R&D grate, pump seal kit, and Jim's modded VX ride plate?

Thanks! Great forum here!

+1
    Keep all your stock parts and install them back if you have to bring it in for warranty work.
    The stealership is looking for any reason to void your warranty...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in Houston View Post
    Is it easily possible to hit 70 mph with just the R&D grate, pump seal kit, and Jim's modded VX ride plate?
    In cooler weather my son got over 73 mph on my ski with the grate, stock VX plate and my little $36 cheap air filter.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    In cooler weather my son got over 73 mph on my ski with the grate, stock VX plate and my little $36 cheap air filter.
    Thank you for the info. I remember reading one of your posts where you were talking about that. I guess I should just go for it. I hope the Jim modded plates are in stock.

+1
    The VX plates are the fastest and ideal for single rider, smooth water drag races on the FZ's;
    but be prepared for a little porpoising at WOT and they are not great in the chop; especially with a passenger in the chop. Farthing has a new plate you might wanna consider also.

I just read the entire Farthing plate thread and it looks very promising. Appears to be a bit slower than the Jim VX modded plate on an FZS but handles much better and is still faster than stock.

I think the Farthing will probably be a better match for my type of riding, as the lake can get rough when those Southern winds are blowing across the length of it. Worse case if it doesnt work the way I want, I'm sure I wont have a problem selling it.

Of course it appears Jim is also going to mod this plate so that adds to the choices. I would love to see more results with FZ's and the Farthing plate modded vs. normal.

+1
    the ribbon and exhaust mods your dealer will have no prob with, mine nose about the mods and they fitted the ribbon delete,

Quote Originally Posted by stig0000 View Post
    the ribbon and exhaust mods your dealer will have no prob with, mine nose about the mods and they fitted the ribbon delete,
    That is probably true, but I know where it leads....Once I take out the ribbon and do an intake/exhaust I will probably be on the limiter. Then its all down hill from there, the mod bug has got you and its over!

I am really going to do my best to keep my FZS close to stock and mod my '09 SX-R if I really start to feel the bug.

+1
    Congrats on the new ski. What part of the Houston area do you ride?

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Congrats on the new ski. What part of the Houston area do you ride?
    Thanks! We are loving it...When its just too hot to fish the ski is a welcomed activity.

I live on Lake Houston, so we plan to spend most of our time riding around here but its easy to trailer it and go anywhere really. My parents live in a neighborhood on Lake Livingston so I may run up there a few times each year as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information