Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: using no oil??

using no oil??

my 97 sltx was run 2 or 3 hours this weekend and the oil level didn't move in the reservoir?? any suggestions?
    Thanx, Ross

+1
    Did you just get a carb rebuild complete?

Pre mix your current fuel and mark the level on your oil tank.Go ride!

Banned User
    +1
    If you ran it for 2 or 3 hours, it had to be getting oil. These 2 strokes don't run long without oil. The oil injected engines don't use a whole lot of oil. Make a mark on the tank and ride it for a while and see that the level dropped.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    If you ran it for 2 or 3 hours, it had to be getting oil. These 2 strokes don't run long without oil. The oil injected engines don't use a whole lot of oil. Make a mark on the tank and ride it for a while and see that the level dropped.
    Right - Don't expect to see a drop the same as you do with fuel usage...

+1
    I was thinking the same thing about my slt750. It didn't seem to me like it was dropping as fast as it should. But here is what I did to put it in perspective.

Lets say the gas tank is 10 gallons to make numbers easy. And the oil tank is 1 gallon, and the normal mix ratio is 40:1. Putting aside the fact that the oil pump changes the amount of the gas/oil mixture based on idle/WOT(again, to make numbers easy) then you would need to go through 4 full tanks of gas to go through a full tank of oil. Or after two tanks of gas you should be around 1/2 tank of oil...and so on.

I fully understand that this is not perfect, and it depends on how you ride. But I think it is a simple way to ballpark your oil usage. I was out a the lake for a full week last week, so I went through A LOT of gas, and I was able to observe this trend as I added my stupid 5 gallon safety cans that take FOREVER to pour. I have 4 of them. Hate them.

On a side note, if anyone has any old style 5 gallon gas cans they want to sell...

Again, this is a ballpark, that seems to work for my ski. Hope this helps.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Generally speaking the variable rate oil pumps consume oil at about half the rate that 40:1 equivilent would consume. So in your example it would take about eight fuel tanks to burn through one gallon of oil.

When working properly these oil injected machines just do not drink the oil very fast. If I am going riding for a long weekend I don't even think about carrying oil with me. I just top up the oil tanks before I leave home and don't worry about it while we are away.

+1
    That makes me feel even better about my oil usage, as it was less than my "ballpark". Thanks. It's nice to put some numbers to it.

thanx all! I am just worried that it's gradually dying without oil. It's a bit slower than it should be and doesn't idle very well. WOT seems to be smooth but only getting about 51 mph on the MFD. The oil level is still in the neck of the tank after the approx. 3 hours of mostly WOT. Meanwhile my 700 Yami used 2 liters after about 5 hours of riding! By using some mixed gas/oil would it hurt it or get too much oil or affect performance?
    cheers

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    thanx all! I am just worried that it's gradually dying without oil. It's a bit slower than it should be and doesn't idle very well. WOT seems to be smooth but only getting about 51 mph on the MFD. The oil level is still in the neck of the tank after the approx. 3 hours of mostly WOT. Meanwhile my 700 Yami used 2 liters after about 5 hours of riding! By using some mixed gas/oil would it hurt it or get too much oil or affect performance?
    cheers
    have you verified that your pump is primed, filter is new and in good condition, and that the pump is in fact moving oil?

no I haven't started anything yet. Can you give me a little direction for this? It was working last year before some troubles developed. The things that have changed since then have been a coil replacement and a fuel float replacement. A service shop did the float. Other than that the only other trouble was the leaking flush inlet on the top which flooded the compartment.
    Thanx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information