+1

1996 sl900 bogging at slow speeds. almost stalling.

+1
    I have an sl900. I just replaced the battery and the charge is good. I took it out a few times and it runs good. the last time I took it out I was having trouble. the ski was sounding like it was going to stall. when I rev'd. the accelerator it would either bog for a minute then "catch" or it would catch right away and accelerate. I just. checked the oil. I was wondering if maybe the gas was not good....I had just filled up from half a tank. also I just put a new fuse in for the mdf display and everything works great with one exception. the fuel amount is not being read so every 5 minutes the red light flashes and the display says fuel...could that cause a ski to react and bog from the warning light? I didn't think the mdf had any tie in with the engine.

if there is anything I should check please let me know....once I go fast there is not a problem...and coming back in from that day there is about a half mile no wake zone and it wasn't bogging anymore. I was going about 5 mph when the problem shower up. I just don't want to be dead in the water.....I ski alone! and the sandbar sharks are 5 to 8 feet....so swimming is not my first option. thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You should check whether the 1996 model had an RPM limit for Low Fuel warning.

On some models the MFD can indeed invoke an RPM limit.

Banned User
    +1
    Yes the 96 SL 900 has RPM limit for low fuel, low oil, and overheat. The MFD is not tied in with the engine, however, the fuel sender on that model is connected to the LR module that switches the CDI into limp mode. If it is hitting limp mode, you should be stuck at 4200 RPM. Most likely your float in the fuel sender doesn't float any more. John Zigler has new floats for around 30 bucks. If your MFD is fully functional, including showing low oil, fuel, and overheat, you can disconnect the grey wire from the CDI to the terminal board and see if that changes anything.

+1
    thanks....I will give that a try while I am looking for a floater....is the fuel float hard to install?I tried to swap a fuel line on a weed whacker once and it was terrible. it seems like once I warm the engine up the ski runs perfect....just has some hiccups in the no wake zone coming in and out of the bay...at about 5mph.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Yes the 96 SL 900 has RPM limit for low fuel, low oil, and overheat. The MFD is not tied in with the engine, however, the fuel sender on that model is connected to the LR module that switches the CDI into limp mode. If it is hitting limp mode, you should be stuck at 4200 RPM. Most likely your float in the fuel sender doesn't float any more. John Zigler has new floats for around 30 bucks. If your MFD is fully functional, including showing low oil, fuel, and overheat, you can disconnect the grey wire from the CDI to the terminal board and see if that changes anything.
    what is the cdi? is it running from the Mfd to the panel box? I am a little new to this stuff but this site has helped me learn a bunch so far.....I'm just not familiar with a cdi ......thanks for the advice. will the limp mode shut off once I have turned off the -fuel- warning? it comes on every few minutes even with a full tank.....so I will be getting a floater....what is the specific name for that part? thanks again.

Banned User
    +1
    Contact John Zigler for the fuel sender float.

+1
    After reading this entire thread, it seems that the real issue here is a low end bog. I would not count on the replacement of the fuel sender / limp mode issue to fix your low end bog. For that, you will need to take a look at carb tuning, and a possible carb rebuild.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rwolhar View Post
    what is the cdi? is it running from the Mfd to the panel box? I am a little new to this stuff but this site has helped me learn a bunch so far.....I'm just not familiar with a cdi ......thanks for the advice. will the limp mode shut off once I have turned off the -fuel- warning? it comes on every few minutes even with a full tank.....so I will be getting a floater....what is the specific name for that part? thanks again.
    is there something I can do from home to check the carbs? I have basic tools but like I said..I am eager to learn about this ski. thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rwolhar View Post
    is there something I can do from home to check the carbs? I have basic tools but like I said..I am eager to learn about this ski. thanks.
    You can check your carb settings utilizing information on this site... http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/ Once they are set to factory, you will need to test on the water. You will not get correct readings without a load on the impeller.

Thread Information