Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

2011 vxr oil in air filter and engine shaking

A friend of mine has a 2011 vxr. Last summer it ran at 71mph (gps). This summer it had been running at 62mph. We thought it might be the impeller but when we checked there was not a scratch on it. we took the air filter out and there was oil in it. The filter was also crushed, i figure this could be because it was trying to suck in air but the oil was stopping it from doing this. so we replaced the filter and it started running at 71mph again. My question is, Where was this oil coming from? and, Will the oil continue to come into the filter?

We also have been noticing that the whole ski has been shaking while accelerating and once it keeps a steady speed it stops shaking. i can feel the engine vibrating but it shakes the whole ski. we checked the motor mounts and all 4 are intact. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks,

+1
    Someone might have overfilled the oil and the extra spilled out the breather tube into the intake and clogged it. As for the shaking, I don't know. Anything around the pump shaft? What's the oil level at now? And how many hours?

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Is it an aftermarket oiled-type air filter or stock?? If not, it may be excessive oil getting pulled from the crankcase through the oil vapor box (blow-by).

Jarret has a good point ont he overfilled oil, yank the stick and check that out. The shaking could possibly be a miss due to oil-fouled spark plugs.

+1
    Is it possible that the engine was overfilled with oil? If so, oil can go through the breather tube that connects to the air intake hose and get into the air filter.

EDIT: Jarret's a fast typer haha

+1
    As for the vibration if your 100% sure the motor mounts are fine I would start looking around the drive coupling + rubber coupling + driven coupling assembly and also the intermediate housing for any free play.

+1
    The oil tank is almost full and it has 64 hours.
    Just guessing here but if the jet ski is shaking from oil fouled spark plugs
    could that be because oil is getting in the cylinders through the air filter? (not really a mechanic, i leave most of that to my dad). oh and the air filter is stock.

+1
    You had the oil changed the end or beginning of the season right? Someone overfilled it. It's common. Nothing to worry about now that you found it. Check the level on the dipstick but it has probably spewed all te extra oil out by now since its the wnd of the season. Vibration probably some wear in the wear ring.

+1
    no way for oil to get into the air filter on a stock vxr, the crankcase breather hose goes in just before the throttle body, something else is going on

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    no way for oil to get into the air filter on a stock vxr, the crankcase breather hose goes in just before the throttle body, something else is going on
    Trying to think this through..

Looking at the online diagram: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=204&B=24. With the engine off or at idle, I'm wondering if oil could backflow/drip down into the AC box from the AC pipe or breather hose connection. Perhaps that happened and the filter wicked up the standing oil?
    Can't figure out any other way you could get a saturated filter. Again, I'm not sure of the placement of the AC box and oil filter, but could spray-out from a loose or faulty oil filter make it into the AC opening (seems like the AC box exterior and side of inner hull would be coated with oil of that were the case.

+1
    was there oil puddled in air filter assm ?????

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information