Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

'12 FX Cruiser SHO, First Impressions!!!!

Hey guys, I had the chance to take the brand new ski out for 5 hours this weekend. I am coming from a 2000 xl 1200 ltd. with a few mods. At first site the ski looks huge!!!! It is large obviously but the size is one of its greatest assets as discussed later. I followed Yamaha's suggested break-in process to the exact T. The ski is so comfortable and roomy for me alone, or me and my wife. Such a big difference! The first time I started it in the water and the 4-stroke came to life it was so whisper quiet. It was my first time on a 4-stroke and what a difference with the 4-stroke! I found that as soon as I started it and set the No Wake Mode button it just happen to be at a perfect 2,000 rpm and ran it that way for 5 minutes. The ski is so powerful and easy to ride. The first time I hit the gas and got up water it planed up out of the water so much easier than my 2000. The ski is super stable! I can kick back and just cruise on it. The ski will handle the chop so well and is amazing to drive. There are places on the lake I couldn't go faster than 30 on my old ski and I am setting the cruise at 40 with this ski. After 2 hours of break-in I finally got a chance to get on it a little feel the acceleration. For as big as it is this thing really pulls hard! It is great for me as I can hot-rod around with just me or cruise at 35 with the wife. The ski really turns well overall in the water too! The ski is very versatile and I for sure made the best decision. I am already thinking about this weekend and where I am going to ride too! However, with all the good, there are a few things an average joe like me would like to change:

1. The Cleat Position- If it was me I would put 2 sets of cleats instead of 1. A set upfront and a set in hte rear of the ski. Having only one in the middle of the ski is awkward as you still need to tie the rear.

2. Depth Finder - I think it would be cool and easy for Yamaha to add a depth finder wight in the display. We already have air and lake temperature, why not add a depth finder. Only one more menu option on the display?

3. Display Always Resets!!!!! - So I am doing break-in on the ski and keeping tract of the miles and time I have ridden. I stop the ski for 5 minutes, restart it and all my time and mileage is showing zeroes!!!!!!! I would like to be able to shit off the ski at a dock, restart the ski and the ride time and mileage to continue where it was when I shut it off!!!! It resets every time I shut it off!!!!! My 2000 does not do this and will only reset after I reset it manually. I want to run a full tank and see how many miles and time I get out of it. I can only do that if I do not shut the ski off!!!! Of all things this drives me crazy......

The ski is plenty, but I do want to ride an FZR now.......

Overall as a whole, I could not be more satisfied and would buy another one again tomorrow!!!!!!!

+1
    Awesome. I am glad to hear that you realized we weren't pulling your leg about how good it is. Soon you will find some heavy chop, trim it up, and cut through it like butter and you will see how good it is. Good luck and report back! As soon as its broken in, get some prelim GPS, as I plan to do soon, and post them up.

+1
    Sounds really nice bro. I'm dieing to try out the new '12 FX SHO hull in some choppy water.

Does anyone have a '12 FX SHO on Long Island and would want to test ride a VXR for a few minutes???

+1
    One other thing and wanting to know if anybody's else speedometer is a little erratic? I am fine if it is saying you are doing 5 more MPH than what you really are. I will be cruising at 30 and it will drop down to 20, 22 than up to 32. Not real accurate at all and I have the cruise assist on? Anybody else notice this with this ski. The Speed really jumps around and is way off at times?

+1
    Yes speedometers quite often erratic. Same on every jet I have ever been on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VXRBlue View Post
    Yes speedometers quite often erratic. Same on every jet I have ever been on.
    Ok, but this one is a lot more erratic than any other I have ridden. My 2000 doesn't jump around as it at least stays pretty consistant. At one time I was cruising about 35. I know I was close to that, as the hull was up out of the water and I had the cruise assist set at around 5 - 5,500k rpm. The speedometer dropped down to 12 mph for like 5 seconds then picked up and would bounce around from 27 - 35? It would do this quite often? I need to look at the sensor and wiring, as I do not know where it is but will look in the service manual....

+1
    I would look to see if you have a little weed stuck in the wheel! My bet is you do if it is that erratic!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
    Ok, but this one is a lot more erratic than any other I have ridden. My 2000 doesn't jump around as it at least stays pretty consistant. At one time I was cruising about 35. I know I was close to that, as the hull was up out of the water and I had the cruise assist set at around 5 - 5,500k rpm. The speedometer dropped down to 12 mph for like 5 seconds then picked up and would bounce around from 27 - 35? It would do this quite often? I need to look at the sensor and wiring, as I do not know where it is but will look in the service manual....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    I would look to see if you have a little weed stuck in the wheel! My bet is you do if it is that erratic!
    I will check it, where is it at on the '12 FX Cruisers?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
    I will check it, where is it at on the '12 FX Cruisers?
    Little paddle-wheel-thingy that hangs down slightly beneath the ride plate in the back of the ski hull.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    Little paddle-wheel-thingy that hangs down slightly beneath the ride plate in the back of the ski hull.
    Ok cool, I guess it hasn't changed much since 2000 as that is the way it is. I will check it and see if I see anything!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information