Thread: Oil Change.....

Oil Change.....

Got an oil change at a jetski dealership that doesnt deal Seadoo. Seems as if they didnt reset cpu so when I crank my rxpx it says maintenance required. Is there a way to reset this without the Candoo or taking it in to Seadoo dealer??

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    First off thats a risky move IMO. But its your high dollar ski, No you have to have Candoo pro(like me)or BUDS..or deal with the maint notice

Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    First off thats a risky move IMO. But its your high dollar ski, No you have to have Candoo pro(like me)or BUDS..or deal with the maint notice
    Hey sea-one. Been thinking about getting me a candoo pro. I am a professional mechanic (retired ) but new to the PWC world. Just wondering if it's worth the investment. I don't like to ever take anything I own to someone else to have it worked on or serviced. Just got a thing about if I can't fix it then it doesn't get fixed. I already own several diagnostic tools from autos to heavy machinery. Some of those tools are great with a lot of access and features and some are not. In your opinion where does the candoo pro fit in those descriptions? I only have the one ski at the moment. A 2003 GTX but I plan on keeping it and probably getting another soon enough. 400.00 bucks is a lot of money to spend if all it will do is reset the maintance light. I await you opinion.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Noahkenny View Post
    400.00 bucks is a lot of money to spend if all it will do is reset the maintance light. I await you opinion.
    Uh..$400 IS a lot of cash to reset a maintenance nag..BUT..when you have to replace a key for whatever reason, it's going to seem like a HUGE bargain, considering that your ski is down at a dock, and you have no trailer, or the nearest seadoo dealer is 125 mile$ away and won't do a key for you as soon as you roll in there. The deal gets better if you own more than one ski..or have a couple of friends who would gladly chip into the cost of having their skis set up on the home version ( up to 4 skis for the entry fee). The average charge for a single seadoo key from what I've been reading lately runs from free ( if the service manager is related to you) to over $150 and at least a pair of trips to the dealer.

Also handy for diagnosing pesky problems that would cost you hours of time or worst a huge bill at a shop that is guessing.

It's a small cost compared to the first or second time your ski has a real problem..especially if you don't live in a major market.

simply put..it's beer money over a season or two.

I helped a fellow out on the east coast last month who lived 150 miles from his dealer, had no trailer and three skis at his summer cabin. Rats chewed up all of his keys ( and life vests and everything else made of rubber) over a winter and was dreading having to take his skis to the dealer for keys. He didn't know about the options available ( he was ready to ship his mpems to me). Sometimes folks will do that as the have a real limited budget and will pay for a one time service.

he ended up buying a Candoo..and on top of that he sent me a check for $50! for the "helpful advice"..seems the local ( 40 miles out) jetski shop didn't have a clue about how to deal with his seadoo problem as they were a "performance shop" and tried to sell him to dess blanks that would "work with no problem".

BRP may eventually get the message and offer some easier way to deal with keys on future models... but for now, in lots of markets, there are shops that invested in the various tools on market so the could deal with current technology products.

I helped a buddy of mine last week find a hidden diagnostic connector on a big inboard with fuel injection that was running really rich. His marine diagnostic tool cost thousands for the buy in and a few hundred bucks for each software module it supports..marine vendors have over a dozen different engines/ecu's to deal with.

A nag is just a nag if you keep good records, so the really cheap way is simply to forget it until a message that says "check engine" appears.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Noahkenny View Post
    Hey sea-one. Been thinking about getting me a candoo pro. I am a professional mechanic (retired ) but new to the PWC world. Just wondering if it's worth the investment. I don't like to ever take anything I own to someone else to have it worked on or serviced. Just got a thing about if I can't fix it then it doesn't get fixed. I already own several diagnostic tools from autos to heavy machinery. Some of those tools are great with a lot of access and features and some are not. In your opinion where does the candoo pro fit in those descriptions? I only have the one ski at the moment. A 2003 GTX but I plan on keeping it and probably getting another soon enough. 400.00 bucks is a lot of money to spend if all it will do is reset the maintance light. I await you opinion.
    There's "NO" regrets i guantee it- It does everything but marry new clusters. In a couple years most savey watercraft owners will have one, HEY maybe CANDoo can jet together with the markets and include them as standard accessory!! Boy the dealers would love that! LOL

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    actually it can marry a new cluster, what it can't do is 'flash" the correct op-code for the cluster to work on your ski. If you get the cluster from the doo dealer..have THEM flash it..then no problems.

The opclode is a clear BRP copyright bit so unless you get friendly with the boys from the Ukraine ( da?) or get hold of buds some other way it's the last pesky thing we have to deal with for a while.

you still need to get code updates from a doo dealer for the new ibr skis.

I'm hoping that brp will see the light..but I kinda doubt they will since the seem to have their corporate head up their bung-holi-ioio when it comes to "protecting" thier dealers.

+1
    have to scan it with buds and reset the maint light

Thread Information