Red Plug below auto cock

I am new to all this so forgive me, but can anyone tell me what purpose of red plug is below the autocock? I am ordering Triple outlet fuel pump tomorrow from John Ziegler. However as I am looking through trying to get understanding how things work i seen this red plug on bottom rail.

Any help greatly appreciated
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red plug.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	280960

Sorry was taken with iphone so not greatest shot.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk! If it is on the bottom rail, it is likely someone decided it was better to plug the return line then to keep the installation as Polaris intended it. This plug should go when you do the conversion, and the return line should connect back to the fuel tank return nipple. Have John throw a return line restrictor in the box with the Fuel pump.......

Also standard prerequisite reading : http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Banned User
    +1
    First, that auto cock needs to be removed. The red plug may be i n one of the fuel lines for the carb feed. There was an early fix that split the fuel pump into 2 outlets, with t fittings between the 2 carbs. My SL 650 had this when I got it, and there was a red plug that looked just like that one in one of the carb inlets. It would have been the rear most inlet, like in that picture. I think that was a Polaris update when the problem of leaning out and burning down Mag cylinders popped up.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    First, that auto cock needs to be removed. The red plug may be i n one of the fuel lines for the carb feed. There was an early fix that split the fuel pump into 2 outlets, with t fittings between the 2 carbs. My SL 650 had this when I got it, and there was a red plug that looked just like that one in one of the carb inlets. It would have been the rear most inlet, like in that picture. I think that was a Polaris update when the problem of leaning out and burning down Mag cylinders popped up.
    The split feed arrangement has been supplanted by the triple outlet fuel pump upgrade.

bluefish - thanks, i will have John add return line restrictor in order for me. As for reading - i've been reading that link, greenhulk forums, etc few hours every night for past month!!! WEALTH of information, being that I am a complete noob though still taking it all in

BryanP - I am definitely remoing the autocock, that's what I was looking at; the fuel routing on it when i come across that plug.I will check tonight but don't recall seeing a T fitting between carbs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Booda View Post
    bluefish - thanks, i will have John add return line restrictor in order for me. As for reading - i've been reading that link, greenhulk forums, etc few hours every night for past month!!! WEALTH of information, being that I am a complete noob though still taking it all in

BryanP - I am definitely remoing the autocock, that's what I was looking at; the fuel routing on it when i come across that plug.I will check tonight but don't recall seeing a T fitting between carbs.
    Only need a new restrictor if yours doesn't have one. If the Red plug is in fact capping the inlet side in order to facilitate a splitting of the feed line with two three way fittings, you may still have a restrictor in place. It will be an inch or two behind the carbs in the return line and should have a zip tie around the line indicating where it is. Check and see if you have one prior to ordering a replacement....

Bryanp - it does have the T fitting, I am on my way to work at moment but will check again...was looking for restrictor and did not see it. I may just order it anyway, no harm in having spare. I'll look better for restrictor after work and see if I can't find it.

Thanks for replies, appreciate it.

Able to find the zip tie for the restrictor...hard to see but assuming the restrictor is in there. Hoses pretty dirty as you can tell by photo. Ordered my fuel pump today, ordering my rebuild kit for carbs tomorrow and work on everything next week once parts come in (not getting shipped locally).

Thanks again for info guys, really appreciate it.

Thread Information