Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1

Any Honda Mechanics in here?

I need help in finding the oxygen sensor/ sensors in an '02 Honda Accord DX 4 cylinder. Idle is crap and the only code the ECU is giving is one of the o2 sensor. Car has about 65,000 miles.

I've seen a few on ebay but dont know if they will fit. And a local mechanic quoted me $178 for one and $250+ for the other and adviced to change both at the same time.

+1
    I found ones from Denso, at a fairly cheap price. Im guessing they should be of good quality?

http://densoproducts.com/more_info.a...30212&pid=1824

http://densoproducts.com/more_info.a...30212&pid=1825
    Last edited by GeoRXT; 02-04-2007 at 10:35 AM.

Give you some advice on O2 sensors. The upstream o2 (the one before the cat) is used to adjust a/f ratios. The downstream (one after the cat) is only used to measure the efficanty of the cat (it tells the computer if the cat is good or bad only) It dose nothing else. Now over time o2 sensors start to slow down as they get age on them. If you replace one it will start reading fast again, sometime the ecu will read this as the new o2 sensor is good and the old one has gotton lazy, and it will sometimes cause a code reading in the ECU. If you can live with the possibily of a check engine light on then replace the upstream sensor. If it was my own car thats is what I would do. Also make sure you replace that fuel filter every 50k miles or less. and do the timing belt at 100K. If you need any other help let me know. I am an ASE certified mechanic, And I have worked just about at every dealer like most mechanics.\\\\

R.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyae View Post
    Give you some advice on O2 sensors. The upstream o2 (the one before the cat) is used to adjust a/f ratios. The downstream (one after the cat) is only used to measure the efficanty of the cat (it tells the computer if the cat is good or bad only) It dose nothing else. Now over time o2 sensors start to slow down as they get age on them. If you replace one it will start reading fast again, sometime the ecu will read this as the new o2 sensor is good and the old one has gotton lazy, and it will sometimes cause a code reading in the ECU. If you can live with the possibily of a check engine light on then replace the upstream sensor. If it was my own car thats is what I would do. Also make sure you replace that fuel filter every 50k miles or less. and do the timing belt at 100K. If you need any other help let me know. I am an ASE certified mechanic, And I have worked just about at every dealer like most mechanics.\\\\

R.
    The timing belt was replaced at 60K miles. Shortly after that it began idleing bad sometimes. That's when we put it in the computer and it read the codes for the o2 sensor.

If I replace both will the check engine light stay on? It's my fiance's car and she freaks out with that check engine light on.

Geo- You need to have your Honda hooked up to a Snap-on dianostic computer, what Rodnaye is has posted is correct to a T! If you go to somewhere like Autozone, they can't read the percentage of the O2 sensors. They will tell you codes and what sensor, usually it's the O2 sensor before the catalytic converter, put it's a good practice to replace them both!

Yes, if that is the only code you are getting. Do you know what code you are getting P0??? And for wich sensor it is for? Most of the time the circit for the heating elements short out giving you a code for it. I use only Standard brand O2 sensors, and do NOT buy a universal O2 sensor!!!! As a side note on O2 sensors. Do not spary anything on the outside of them. If you spray a cleaner (Gum cutter, brake cleaner, or any other harsh cleaner) on the out side of the sensor you have just ruined it. I had to attend a O2 sensor class to learn this.

+1
    I believe it was a Snap-On handheld computer. It read the same thing twice.

So I will buy both, but, are these Denso ones good? I know they make the best spark plugs, but dont know about their sensors. Even though the description sounds good.

To be honest with you I only use the Standard Parts brand. As a side note Standard makes 90% of all the o2 sensors that the car manafactures use on the cars from the factory. Denso is also a great choice for Honda's. The Denso might be a reboxed Standard Parts O2 sensor also.

Thread Information