Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Help-Broken bow eye bolt (Repair)

Anyone ever snap one of these bolts? Boat is upside down at the moment
    for painting so I can't get in there to pull the foam out.

get ready to make a nice big hole on the front.....welcome to the club

+1
    In the foam or the smc?

+1
    You have to cut a hole on the inner liner behind the inserts to get a wrench or socket on the nut. Not a real fun job. When you get done leave the foam out. And let me know if there was foam between the inner liner and the hull please.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    You have to cut a hole on the inner liner behind the inserts to get a wrench or socket on the nut. Not a real fun job. When you get done leave the foam out. And let me know if there was foam between the inner liner and the hull please.

Uurrgg!!

Good times

And if that doesn't get an door bit "you know the ones you use to make holes on the door." cut a hole next to it so you can get a wrench around it. Word of advice when you put them back use anit seze on them so it won't happen again. Relax your not the first and ceraintly not the last. Remember to use a good filler when fixing the holes (3M) for me is the best. It withstands the miami abuse.

+1
    On mine the ss bolt had red loctite on it.

1. grinded the ss bolt flush to the brass insert. used a punch to put a dimple right in the middle of the broken ss bolt.

2. used a drill bit approx. 1/2 the size of the broken ss bolt and drilled through the ss bolt.

3. once I drlled a hole through it, I used two other bits progressively bigger to take the meat out of the broken ss bolt. there was only the threads left.

4. took a scratch awl (or other sharp instrument) and tapped on to the remaining ss threads. I tried to get the threads to seperate from the brass caveing them into the hole that I had drilled into the bolt.

5. once they folded into the middle, you know that the loctite has loosened on the remaining threads that may still hold fast to the insert.

6. take an extractor and remove the threads.

7. Note: if you tear up the brass threads trying to remove the ss bolt threads, it is no problem. just retap the brass threads and go with a 1/4 in allen bolt. remember that you are working with brass.... do not dispair if things do not work out smoothly.

.... and if you mess it up, you haven't lost anything...do it like others suggest.

good luck
    Last edited by salty; 02-05-2007 at 07:29 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    On mine the ss bolt had red loctite on it.

1. grinded the ss bolt flush to the brass insert. used a punch to put a dimple right in the middle of the broken ss bolt.

2. used a drill bit approx. 1/2 the size of the broken ss bolt and drilled through the ss bolt.

3. once I drlled a hole through it, I used two other bits progressively bigger to take the meat out of the broken ss bolt. there was only the threads left.

4. took a scratch awl (or other sharp instrument) and tapped on to the remaining ss threads. I tried to get the threads to seperate from the brass caveing them into the hole that I had drilled into the bolt.

5. once they folded into the middle, you know that the loctite has loosened on the remaining threads that may still hold fast to the insert.

6. take an extractor and remove the threads.

7. Note: if you tear up the brass threads trying to remove the ss bolt threads, it is no problem. just retap the brass threads and go with a 1/4 in allen bolt. remember that you are working with brass.... do not dispair if things do not work out smoothly.

.... and if you mess it up, you haven't lost anything...do it like others suggest.

good luck
    Thanks salty! I will try that first especially since its upside down and easy to work with.

+1
    I cut the inner liner out

then I removed the foam (yes there is foam)

with the foam gone then it was easy to get a socket on it

We cut it with a hole saw and put a deck plate in after the repair. If it happens again no big deal. I think we used a 3" white deck plate from Boat US.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information