+1

Help With GPS for FX Cruiser SHO???

With the addition of the new FX Cruiser SHO, I am now taking longer rides and exploring local lakes. I am looking at a GPS and mounting it. I know how to mount it but have some questions about GPS's.

1. Do they work just like the one in my car? In other words, it will show me the marinas, restaraunts, and gas on the lake?

2. Easy to plot a trip from the start of my campground and the destination and show me exactly where to go on the water on the GPS?

3. I am lost as to what to get, would like to keep it under $400, any suggestions?

Give me the lowdown on a marine use GPS, I am a tech junkie but clueless when it comes to GPS for marine use.

+1

+1
    When it comes to GPS and applications/maps, there are lots to choose from. For a long time (IMHO) the standard was the Garmin GPS Map 76CSx (Top of the line for the 76 models). It's the first one I bought and still use to this day. Although it's been discontinued, they can still be found for new at half the original price. It's now been replaced by the 78 series, and they are not giving them away. More about those units at http://www.garmin.com/us/

IMHO, the biggest draw back for either of those two (priced new) is price, screen size and costs of extra maps. That being said, I'm glad I have my 76... If I were to make a change, I'd prob. be looking for a marine GPS/Plotter w/the larger screens. IDK which one yet, b/c I'm still not in the market.

As old as it is now, I've built my website starting w/a base of trails that all came from my travels via my 76. The site has grown and I welcome you to look at it. See link in sig. below. If and when you make a purchase, and you start venturing out, please consider sharing your info. to my site so that others may benefit and perhaps share theirs as well.

Oh, finally - not that I'd know it all, but sometimes the maps do display key POIs (fuel, ramps, restaurants...) but it can be antiquated information. IE, if you purchased US Inland Lakes 2008 from Garmin, it was almost useless in the foregoing respect around NOLA - Katrina changed all of that. Your better off exploring that info on GE and doing some homework before you leave home. I've tried to take all the guess work out of that as far as the trails on my site go, but things do change...

+1
    Ok, so they look just like the gps in a car but a little arrow on the water? Do I have to plug them in and plan a route on the computer and load it in the GPS. Lets say I am at our camp ground. I want to ride to Calhoun's on the river, which is a popular restaurant. Can I search for it in the GPS, find it, and the GPS will automatically plan the route to there through the lakes just like the GPS in my car??

I am completely confused, I have never even seen a marine based GPS and Garmin's site did not help any..... I guess I need to go to Bass Pro and look in person at them....

+1
    Well, I can't speak for any new technology out there that I'm not familiar w/, but I'd have to say no. Navigation on water (based on my experience) doesn't work that way: No roads, shifting routes, high/low tides, no speed limits... You've either got to know the route yourself, or "plan the route". IE, Garmin's MapSource software, (as well as other brands) allow you to plot routes and drop waypoints on the maps via your PC. Then, you download that data to your GPS, hit the water, and hope your trail is good.

Yes, other than shopping and hands-on use via Cabela's/Bass Pro, you need to find someone around you that has something they use. I would say your purchase should be based on price, attributes, and screen size. Those 3 at a minimum is a good place to start.

+1
    Okay I was hoping it would work like a car GPS. I would be on the lake, Search POI's, choose the closest Marina from the list and the GPS would show me where to ride too. I am familiar with local lakes, but just thought it would be a cool thing to have!!!!! I will look at them in person and see if they would really be useful to me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
    Okay I was hoping it would work like a car GPS. I would be on the lake, Search POI's, choose the closest Marina from the list and the GPS would show me where to ride too. I am familiar with local lakes, but just thought it would be a cool thing to have!!!!! I will look at them in person and see if they would really be useful to me.
    I have the Garmin 431s(inland waters version) with the Garmin Lakes Southeast Vision Maps and Homeport Software for the PC. You can transfer the Marinas as waypoints to your sd card, put in the 431s with the Vision Maps and it will "Navigate to" your waypoint avoiding all land and works very well. I didn't know anything about Lake Lanier but with this you can set it and just follow. You can even set the Navigation to be one of (I think) three settings away from land; I have it set to close to land and 3ft for a safe water depth.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=108244

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1481d1334669603-waverunner-prices-paid-2011-2012-dash4.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	281058

Name:	1487d1334760263-waverunner-prices-paid-2011-2012-img_20120418_080503.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	281059

Name:	1484d1334670973-waverunner-prices-paid-2011-2012-homeport-map.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	281060

Name:	Knoxville Homeport.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	281065

+1
    Excellent option! What's the current going rate on this unit/maps?

+1
    Looks like 429.95 for the unit

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GP...cer-P2178.aspx
    http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-gpsmap...ransducer.html

I just bought the maps for 99.95 from Garmin so I could redownload if I needed and also bought homeport from Garmin which I believe was 29.95.

Thread Information