To service now or wait until Spring?

I have a 2012 GTR that is approaching the 25 hour mark. My riding season is getting dangerously close to being over, with maybe a month left if that. I plan to change the oil and spark plugs and check everything over very thoroughly at the 25 hour mark. I'm wondering if I should do this before I winterize it, or leave it as it is and do it next spring just before I start riding again? I wouldn't imagine having fresh oil in the engine would hurt anything over winter, but I suppose if I had to choose I'd rather it stay in the jug until I ride again. Any thoughts?

+1
    Where are you located?

+1
    Change the oil/filter as part of winterizing......hours don't matter.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    +1..you want your shiny engine parts sitting in "fresher" oil when idle for a few months.

Best to change the oil at the conclusion of your last outing. You want the freshest oil possible

It is also one less thing to worry about on that surprise warm day early in the season next year.

You'll be ready.

If you have mice around, tape over your exhaust outlet. Another member found a rats nest in their supercharger earlier this season.

I'm located in northern Iowa. I have heated and (virtually) mouse/rat free storage for the winter, so i'm not too worried about that. I'll plan to change the oil and filter then when I winterize. What else goes into the winterizing process besides removing the battery, draining any excess water and coating the cylinder walls?

Also, will there be some type of "service engine soon" light that comes on when I reach 25 hours that only the dealer can turn off? I hope to avoid taking it to the dealer when I service/winterize if at all possible. Thanks again

+1
    Dude, get a wet suit, it extends your season at least 4-6 weeks and gets you back on the water a month earlier in the spring!

All good advice from 1tommygunner1927 and nmpeter. I personally never remove the battery BUT, I put a Automatic Trickle Charger on it and leave it on 100% of the winter. I got 5 years out of my last stock battery doing this. I also top off the fuel tank, add StaBil, as this will keep condensation from forming in the fuel tank.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    that pesky timer reminder can be turned off by a buddy with a candoo or other scanner tool. other wise do what millions have done before...cover it with tape!

If you are on good terms with your dealer, he might do it for a 6 pack....of Vernor's Ginger Ale.

That first oil change should have been done a loooong time ago. Mine gets done every 10 hours with synthetic! Make sure when it sits it has fresh oil as old used oil gets acidic and will corrode the heck out of your engine if left sitting.

Thread Information