Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Curious as to which route I should take with my SL 750

It got kinda long, cliffs at the end.

Back story: Grandparents bought an SL750 new in 1993. We've put hundreds of hours on it on a (freshwater, obviously) lake in S/W Michigan. Ski was rebuilt in Wisconsin for ~$1800, unknown shop at this time, but I'm hopeful that there is a sticker on the ski, in winter 08/09, it ran for summer '09, and spring of '10 but then suffered a burndown in the CEN piston and has sat ever since. After years of it sitting, I asked my grandmother (Grandpa passed away last winter), and she has decided that me taking it and the trailer is better than it "rotting away". Ski is NOT currently in my possesion, as it cannot be transported until the titles for ski and trailer are transfered and in my name and she can't find the title. Luckily my uncle claims to know it's location, waiting on him. So, basically, the ski does have some sentimental value, as most summer weekends were spent at the cottage.

The Ski: It's a '93, so it already has that working against it. Compression was impropperly done, as I read that it shouldn't be cranked too long, so I may have let off before the needle "maxed out". Videos on YouTube seem like people crank until the gauge tops out, IDK. Anyways, 120/5/120 front to back. Looked down the hole, saw no damage, repeated test. Same results. I pulled the heac and found the piston to be melted pretty bad around the edge, but piston was pretty much TDC, so IDK how the cyl. walls are looking.

The Unknownks: Fuel system status. I was in a hurry, and forgot to look for the triple pump or new lines. I also don't know the condition of the crank, especially with respect to surface rust.

Now, the actual question: For the sake of argument, lets say the crank and cyl. wall are in good shape and useable as-is. I know I have a few options here:
    quick fix of piston/rings/etc., carb rebuild, fuel lines, pump, oil lines/fittings for roughly $350
    750 quick fix with "performance" parts such as a modular pump, F/A, reed spacers, grate, & plate. ~$500-$600?
    780 top swap and odds and ends for a "performance" build/ resto-mod. I have already aquired the following parts:
    780 Jugs, Heads, F/A, Exhaust Mani, Reeds & spacers w/ bolts, Modular pump, fuel pump, variable oil pump, flywheel, and 1 good piston w/ new rings for only $310.

My issue, is that once the "performance" 750 or 780 swap is complete, I'll be into this ski roughly $700+. Which is fine, but my concern is that recently I've seen a few SLX 780's in the area for sale for $500-$700 "running". It seemed initially that the 750 to 780 swap would be a good money saver, but it isn't really looking that way any more... Even if one of the SLX's needs a little work, I can still fix and sell the 93 750 for about $500 profit, bringing the "initial investment" on an SLX to almost nothing, and when I sell the SLX, I can put the other 780 parts I already bought, on eBay and easily get every cent, if not more, out of them that I paid. If Grandma ever asks, well, I suppose I could just tell her it's got new stickers...

I messaged a few of the 750 -> 780 swapped members here, and both said it wasn't really worth the gains, but for the price I got the parts at I might as well just do it, because $300 for ~4-5 MPH ain't bad.

What would YOU do? I don't need an insane top speed, I love the SL's for the spins and slides... I don't race it, but I love the build. I add performance parts for simple enjoyment and as a hobby. My ultimate goal is a little better top speed, hopefully at least 50+ (55+ eventually with a 780) and much better "pop" out of the hole.

Cliffs:
    Free ski from Grandma, needs sum fixin'
    750 repair, 750 resto-mod, 780 top swap, or fix/sell buy a newer ski with the profit...

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.
    -James

Banned User
    +1
    For me personally, I would rather fix a ski like you already have, than buy one "running". Who knows what you will find when you start digging into that supposedly running ski. I would fix the 750 you have, and do the fuel system upgrades to it. The modular pumps can be had for cheap. The fact that it has sentimental value makes the choice even easier for me. Besides, the 93 SL 750 is kind of cool looking.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    For me personally, I would rather fix a ski like you already have, than buy one "running". Who knows what you will find when you start digging into that supposedly running ski. I would fix the 750 you have, and do the fuel system upgrades to it. The modular pumps can be had for cheap. The fact that it has sentimental value makes the choice even easier for me. Besides, the 93 SL 750 is kind of cool looking.
    +1
    All new fuel and pulse line, fuel filter, triple outlet fuel pump. rebuild the carbs. Look for a used 750 cylinder setup in the classifieds and you're good to go. If you already have the 780 stuff go for it.

+1
    I do have all of the 780 stuff already. Total for that stuff was only ~$300. Cylinders are iffy... I'm gunna give them a good hone (might need a wee bit of conservative dremmeling ) and the I just need 2 piston kits, and a gasket set (bluefishcrisis has got me all set on that, thanks!) and a pump rebuild kit. And then of course the fuel system stuff but that is an arbitrary charge because I'd be buying that stuff for a 750 build anyways.

Banned User
    +1
    I would also split the cases and really check out that crank. Replace the seals while you are at it. If the cylinders are iffy, I would get them bored and buy oversize pistons. Now is the time to do everything right. Might cost a little more now, but the reward will be a reliable ski for many years. Full rebuild on the motor would probably end up in the $850 range or so. If you bore out the pump nozzle, it will cost you some top speed.

+1
    I have a set a seals laying around I can throw in the package for a super deal......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    I have a set a seals laying around I can throw in the package for a super deal......
    crank case seals were supposed to have been included in the already super deal... or am I mistaken?

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1

Curious as to which route I should take with my SL 750

Like bryan said - Tear down the 750 and rebuild it - most of the repairs you do to it, you'd have to do to anything "running" anyways. Plus if it has sentimental value - no brainer

+1
    I guess after seeing a couple nice SLX's I needed a bit of reassurance. Namely this one: http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/boa/3215577770.html

Guy was a TERRIBLE seller, I tried to ask him a few questions and never got a response. I texted him later stating that I am still interested, and his reply was just "ok", and he hasn't said anything since. Not to mention the extremely fishy title situation... My guess is that he plans to use the title for a different craft.

I'll keep the ol' pink ski. I'm kinda partial to the graphics anyways, I just wish they were in better shape...

Next up: Mah build thread!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonrider10022 View Post
    crank case seals were supposed to have been included in the already super deal... or am I mistaken?
    DOH! You're right. Sorry about that, too many things going on at once....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information