185 steering nozzle

I apologize if this's been beat to death..tried the search and came up with 8,234,567,809,876,543 hits for the topic...so....since I'm such a lazy bastrd...

What's the deal with putting one on a 215?

longer nozzle? better top speed? drop in rpm?

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    If I remember correct they are the same!

Quote Originally Posted by mitsakosgt View Post
    If I remember correct they are the same!

Well...thanks to the overwelming number of responses I checked the oem parts diagrams of the two parts...going back and forth in separate windows.....the 185's steering nozzle is longer. At least it appears so.

So...taking that at face value...what would be the pros/cons for installing one on a 215?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    Well...thanks to the overwelming number of responses I checked the oem parts diagrams of the two parts...going back and forth in separate windows.....the 185's steering nozzle is longer. At least it appears so.

So...taking that at face value...what would be the pros/cons for installing one on a 215?
    I have used a RX-DI steering nozzle before which is longer. It will bring down your rpm's, may effect holeshot good/bad just depends.

+1
    crisper steering with no rpm affect on my skis. When opas is blocked up the longer nozzle is almost mandatory at low speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    crisper steering with no rpm affect on my skis. When opas is blocked up the longer nozzle is almost mandatory at low speeds.
    Thanks mitsakosgt, jp1300r.

Jim, I hadn't thought of that slow speed steering edge. Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    I have used a RX-DI steering nozzle before which is longer. It will bring down your rpm's, may effect holeshot good/bad just depends.
    The RX and RX di steering nozzles don't have the boss on the bottom to run opas, but they are the same length as the 185s. If you don't have opas, the RX's work great-- I like to grind out the step on the inside like the other 951 powered skis-- maximum turning. Check out the R&D nozzle-- http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=591 It is a 185 nozzle that has the steps ground out and is 3 mm in diameter larger.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    The RX and RX di steering nozzles don't have the boss on the bottom to run opas, but they are the same length as the 185s. If you don't have opas, the RX's work great-- I like to grind out the step on the inside like the other 951 powered skis-- maximum turning. Check out the R&D nozzle-- http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=591 It is a 185 nozzle that has the steps ground out and is 3 mm in diameter larger.
    Yes I ran it on a RXPX with RIVA BOs. It did have a boss you could drill and tap for OPAS, but if the 185 is the same why bother. Since I am not running OPAS, I just cut the boss off mine.

+1
    Ha ok. You put an 86 mm steering nozzle onto your RXPX-- that must explain your rpm drop where I did not see any change. My 03 GTX was running the stock 83 mm reduction nozzle and your ski came with an 87 mm. You want to have your steering nozzle opening 3-5 mm larger than your reduction nozzle. You might want to have your steering nozzle ringed or try the R&D that has an 89 mm exit.

+1
    Running 83 exit nozzle with the modded rx-do steering nozzle. My stuff is not stock at all.

Thread Information