To fill or not to fill the pump shoe

I have just removed my pump shoe to repair the threads for the intake grate. I am changing back to the R&D 800 from the 1200 grate because I want a little more top end. I also want to reduce the porposing or bouncing that I was getting around 82mph with the 1200.

My question is this - on a conversion ski going 83-85 is it better to seal the pump shoe or not? Do you seal everything or just some things?

I have searched the threads and have found conflicting advice. What do you conversion builders recommend?

Thanks!

+1
    How fast do you want to go anyway? We are all running RIVA 1200 grates into the 90+. You will have no holeshot with a 800 grate. If you are asking should you fill all the cavitaties up, yes you should. Just use duraglass(waterproof bondo). Seal the pumpshoe to the hull with 5200. There is a trick to setting up these GPRs for speed and only few guys know how to do it.

+1
    +1 JP

and that 800 grate will not settle the boat down, it will make it bounce more

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    How fast do you want to go anyway? We are all running RIVA 1200 grates into the 90+. You will have no holeshot with a 800 grate. If you are asking should you fill all the cavitaties up, yes you should. Just use duraglass(waterproof bondo). Seal the pumpshoe to the hull with 5200. There is a trick to setting up these GPRs for speed and only few guys know how to do it.
    So anybody wants to share some of those tricks

+1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...pump+shoe+5200 Good reading on the shoe here. WFO posted some great pics on how to do it. I can run over tomorrow and give you a hand getting it up in there if needed as you only want to do it 1 time. You had said something about the threads in it having a problem. If you don't fix them 110% to your liking, just order a new shoe and install it. I can't even begin to tell you what a pita it is to pull out an old shoe that had been 5200 sealed in there.

Get some acetone to wipe up smears and not idea to babysit it looking in on it to wipe away bubbles that will form. I also used a jack under it.

+1
    And if your going to do anything with an aluminum 800 grate it should be upping your life insurance at anything over 80. With a R&D 800 grate your riding a time bomb... Get some velcro and a neck brace...

If your trying to loose a bounce shim your tabs down to .100 or better or take some angle out of your plate. More angle doesn't always equal more speed on a gprxp... A Riva 1200 grate will serve you safely and well for all your conversion needs. This is all strictly from opinion and experience. And yes to your original question. Fill the shoe, Drill some pressure relief holes, and do it rite the first time as Avi8tor said removing it is a bitch

[QUOTE=jp1300r;2022469]How fast do you want to go anyway? We are all running RIVA 1200 grates into the 90+. You will have no holeshot with a 800 grate. If you are asking should you fill all the cavitaties up, yes you should. Just use duraglass(waterproof bondo). Seal the pumpshoe to the hull with 5200. There is a trick to setting up these GPRs for speed and only few guys know how to do it.[/QUOTE

I'd be comfortable with 85-86. I think that is my max with what I have. I have a stock 08 4 tec with an x charger and 42 lb injectors. 7880 rpms. I was seeing 85 before I installed the 1200 grate, but the weather was in the 70's. My ski now jumps around 80-81 with the 1200. I am afraid of stuffiing the pump. I have pump relief with two holes drilled in the shoe at an angle to the bottom of the shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    And if your going to do anything with an aluminum 800 grate it should be upping your life insurance at anything over 80. With a R&D 800 grate your riding a time bomb... Get some velcro and a neck brace...

If your trying to loose a bounce shim your tabs down to .100 or better or take some angle out of your plate. More angle doesn't always equal more speed on a gprxp... A Riva 1200 grate will serve you safely and well for all your conversion needs. This is all strictly from opinion and experience. And yes to your original question. Fill the shoe, Drill some pressure relief holes, and do it rite the first time as Avi8tor said removing it is a bitch
    I do need to shim the rideplate. That has helped in the past, but I changed it to see if I could pick up speed. I will also go back with the 1200! Thanks!

Thread Information