Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1

02 Virage TXi - Another Project!

Well, I picked up a Virage TXi for a decent price that was taken in for a issue, and a shop informed the owner that it needed $2500 in repairs. Owner decided to sell it instead.

I received the ski with the heads pulled and jet pump ripped apart. Issues I am aware of currently:

-Center Cyl is 20 psi lower than the other two...rings are fried and scoring the jug.
    -No fuel pressure, regulator fell off in the tank
    -Jet pump bearing failed and destroyed the impeller, wear ring and drive shaft (see photo below).
    -Reverse lever is stuck

Have an engine on the way, have spare pump parts, repaired the stiff reverse lever and decided to order a kawi fuel pressure regulator.

Cant say Im a fan of the color or the boarding step that was added, but here she is!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VirageTxi3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	281107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Virage TXi Failed Bearing.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	281106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VirageTxi.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	281105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VirageTxi2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	281104

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    nice looking hull....

I have an opportunity to buy a 2002 1200 injected and an 800 injected same year. both the emms are toast hulls are fair, but the nada book value ain't

my only issue is that it's pretty late in the season here ( it's going to be pretty much over in a month) and no trailer..a problem..but not a deal breaker.

I offered $800 for both, the 1200 is showing 500 hours and the 800 got a reset on the clock so no clue there. I figure about the same. Have to check the compression tomorrow.

Some hack mechanic work here and there but otherwise just Little beat up.

Between my humongous bill from DFI, batteries, some jetpump rebuilding ( no doubt) and tacking down all the bits I need..I'm wondering if I should just buy em and part them out myself.

the guy paid wayyyy to much money for these two from the get go..which ain't really my problem. Getting rid of junk hulls around here has become a problem in the last year..the landfills are closing here ( don't ask why), I live in a county the size of new jersey with 7000 full time residents.

The NADA book on these things are crazy low..KBB is at least double that.

what do you think? I'd likely fix the 1200 and part the 800 book values being what they are

+1
    i'd be interested in the 800 case's and crank if you get them

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    nice looking hull....

I have an opportunity to buy a 2002 1200 injected and an 800 injected same year. both the emms are toast hulls are fair, but the nada book value ain't

my only issue is that it's pretty late in the season here ( it's going to be pretty much over in a month) and no trailer..a problem..but not a deal breaker.

I offered $800 for both, the 1200 is showing 500 hours and the 800 got a reset on the clock so no clue there. I figure about the same. Have to check the compression tomorrow.

Some hack mechanic work here and there but otherwise just Little beat up.

Between my humongous bill from DFI, batteries, some jetpump rebuilding ( no doubt) and tacking down all the bits I need..I'm wondering if I should just buy em and part them out myself.

the guy paid wayyyy to much money for these two from the get go..which ain't really my problem. Getting rid of junk hulls around here has become a problem in the last year..the landfills are closing here ( don't ask why), I live in a county the size of new jersey with 7000 full time residents.

The NADA book on these things are crazy low..KBB is at least double that.

what do you think? I'd likely fix the 1200 and part the 800 book values being what they are
    You could part them, but the value is in the electronics that are dead in your case.

Id Take the 1200 and have DFI fix it or convert it to a carb setup if you can source a CDI and stator. My 2002 has the pulse fittings ready to go, just capped off.

I cant wait to ride it and see if I like the hull.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    More than just a CDI and stator needed to convert from Ficht to carburetor on that Virage TXi.

Entire wire harness is different. No choke lever. Different exhaust temp sender. Some other stuff like that.

And the carb engine will burn more fuel than Ficht for the same power.

I am biased; I like my Ficht powered 2002 Virage TXi. Even the copper/bronze color has grown on me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    More than just a CDI and stator needed to convert from Ficht to carburetor on that Virage TXi.

Entire wire harness is different. No choke lever. Different exhaust temp sender. Some other stuff like that.

And the carb engine will burn more fuel than Ficht for the same power.

I am biased; I like my Ficht powered 2002 Virage TXi. Even the copper/bronze color has grown on me.
    I understand much more is needed, but the only parts that concern me are the hard to get/expensive ones, being the CDI and stator. I can't see it being worth the work.

+1
    If I said I could get a third party solution for ignition boxes and stator all day for long for $800 would there be any takers?

didn't think so.

herein lies the Polaris problem for carbed skis.

a company I came across makes ignition replacements for some niche Italian motorcycles. looks promising, but pricy.

I'd never consider an efi to carb conversion, at least for now we have a place that can fix the emm..and as far as I am concerned..once running with a solid battery, they are pretty darn reliable.

The only problems I've ever encountered have been battery related.

I'm still up in the air..even after a good nights sleep over what to do with this deal.

getting rid of a stripped hull is my deal breaker. I'd fix em and sell em..but I'm wondering if the wow factor will be there come payday.

The customer has to get with that he jumped into a money pit and maybe..just maybe a great day out on his ski will make him forget it's costing him $50 an hour for it for a few outings.

Maybe I'll cough up a grand for both of em.......nahhh what am I thinking..the book values are simply in the gutter.

I have that 15f with a tossed rod sitting also..that's another book value refugee

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    ... at least for now we have a place that can fix the emm..and as far as I am concerned..once running with a solid battery, they are pretty darn reliable.

The only problems I've ever encountered have been battery related...
    That would be why I prefer them and have them as our primary watercraft. I like the easy, consistent starting hot or cold and the smooth linear throttle response.

Fuel economy is rather good and the large fuel tanks in the Ficht models make for a long cruise range.

Deka AGM batteries in every hull

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    That would be why I prefer them and have them as our primary watercraft. I like the easy, consistent starting hot or cold and the smooth linear throttle response.

Fuel economy is rather good and the large fuel tanks in the Ficht models make for a long cruise range.

Deka AGM batteries in every hull
    You are making me very impatient....cant wait to drive this ski!

BTW: What the HELL is the handle for on the handlebar pad?

+1
    that's a tooth rest!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information