Seadoo gtx rfi 2001 seized engine

well my engine has seized, prior to this i have pretty much changed all the parts on my jetski, it wasnt running right, bogging down. i left it with an engineer at the lake and he has reported the engine seized during his water test . i tested compression only the week before and had 160 psi in both. i reckon it is to do with the crank shaft bearings, the engine has always been "tight" and i suspect my earlier starter motor problems were actually due to the engine being tight.

now i cant decide what to do. i have read the seadoo workshop manual, pressure testing and taking apart the engine appears to require loads of special tools. i am used to working on car engines etc.

the ski is an immaculate gold GTX RFI with 50 hours on the clock, it only cost me £1600 but i have spent quite a lot of time and money changing the steering cable, starter, battery, wiring, rectifier etc etc.

Options;

1) sell the ski as is or in bits.
    2) take the ski to be repaired could cost £1000-£1700 depending on whats wrong
    3) attempt to repair it myself (not sure how hard this will be)
    4) buy a used engine

any advice would be appretiated to help in making my decision.

+1
    I can only think of a few tools that would be called "special" to take your 787 RFI apart-- flywheel puller and an impeller tool to remove the pto. All other tools are metric sockets, metric allen wrenches and your favorite cleaning supplies to take care of all the surfaces.

If you planned on rebuilding your own crank and boring your cylinders, that does require the special tools.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I can only think of a few tools that would be called "special" to take your 787 RFI apart-- flywheel puller and an impeller tool to remove the pto. All other tools are metric sockets, metric allen wrenches and your favorite cleaning supplies to take care of all the surfaces.

If you planned on rebuilding your own crank and boring your cylinders, that does require the special tools.
    would you suggest i have a go at repairing the engine? i would need to do the pressure tests to work out whats wrong with it first

+1
    Your machine would take me 12 or so hours to have back up and running. The area of concern I have with you attempting the repair is that you mention difficulties w/ swapping out a steering cable, wire harness and voltage regulator. The motor R&R and rebuild may be beyond your abilities. The problem w/ seadoos is that if you miss a step or do it incorrectly, it will potential cause major damage-- I fix alot of skis that others have screwed up.

hi jim thanks for your comments, i havent had problems changing those parts, the point i was making is that it has taken time and money for me to do these, the ski had been sitting in dry storage for 5 years or so quite a lot of items needed sorting out.

well the engine is out and have removed the head to find some piston damage on the mag piston, although the cylinders / pistons walls arent scored as such. the injectors are corroded but now sure if this means replacement??. now i am trying to figure out what caused it, any ideas? the oil pump appears to be working and there was oil in it....
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]281697[Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	281697

Thread Information