Pump bearing question

I just removed the cap and all the grease from the bearing to exchange it for synthetic lube. Even after all the grease is gone there stills seems to be a little drag while spinning the pump on the shaft. When I turn it slowly I can feel a little resistance (more than normal). The bearings look great as did the grease I removed, no water, shavings, or rust can be found. What could be causing this drag and whats the best way to fix it? I put it to the side until I get a response. Thanks.

Try undoing the shaft nut so it is loose, then try spinning the pump to see if it spins nicely. This will show if the bearings are being clamped together and causing the drag.

I will do that today. If that is the case, I assume I should press or tap the bearings more in the direction of the shaft so it doesnt squeeze them again when I retighten? Is there any measurment for the amount of setback or clearance for the prop?

+1
    Swordmaster, there is a measurement. Check your manual.

Call me when you get a chance. I have an idea that might loosen it up a bit.

+1
    The prop clearance is set by the front pump bearing. This could be part of your problem but I THINK you have to disassemble the pump to check the measurement. Look in the F.A.Q section at Ferchos pump assembly instructions and you will see what I am talking about.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    The prop clearance is set by the front pump bearing. This could be part of your problem but I THINK you have to disassemble the pump to check the measurement. Look in the F.A.Q section at Ferchos pump assembly instructions and you will see what I am talking about.
    yup

+1
    Go ahead and install the ceramic bearings while you are at it. Just be sure that you VERY careful installing the bearing so you dont ruin a pump.

+1

Ok, I was hoping there was a measurment the would say how far the bottom hub of the prop should sit away from the ring on the pump.
    The manual and ferchos instructions just show how far to seat the bearings on the shaft. I didnt take the bearings off the shaft yet because I dont have a press to put them back on properly.

Also, I did find that all the grease wasnt removed like I thought. I used a heat gun to warm it up (not enough to ruin the oil seals) Then the compressed air blew alot more out.

Rich, I will give you a call in a little bit when I get back inside. The heater in this shop is loud and its to damn cold without it. 4 degrees and breezy! I envy you warm weather guys this time of year.

This isnt how I measured it, but this was the measurment I was trying to find.
    Is .076in about right or should it be in closer to the pump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump-prop.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	494.2 KB 
ID:	16020  

Thread Information