No spark? Done some testing - how to do more

Related to our 1999 XL:1200 Ltd:

We solved our earlier problem caused by a dropped power valve by putting in a new piston and new rings in all cylinders. I even figured out how to do a pressure test! The ski ran great for several weekends.

Last weekend it stopped running after several minutes of high speed running, a moderate slow down to idle, and a a minute or two of idle.

I first checked for gas & spark and found no spark.

Based on previous threads I checked for continuity of the black & white wires to the lanyard/kill switch and found none until the lanyard was installed & I pressed the kill switch. I understand this eliminates these as causes. The water temp sensor reads ~8k ohms at ~80 degrees ambient air temp. This also seems OK.
    The exhaust temp sensor reads no continuity at 80 degrees which also seems OK based on the declining resistance specified as temp increases and several k ohm spec at about 600 degrees.

Questions:

1) Can I correctly rule out the exhaust temp sensor?
    2) What can I test inside the elec box without the "special harness" referenced in my service manual?
    3) I see no mention of a stator in the manual - how does my ski generate electricity?

As before any other guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob

+1
    It has an alternator not a stator. it gets power from the battery and the alternator maintains the battery power. the pickup or trigger in the front cover tells the ECM to energize the coils. you can unplug the plug coming from the front cover to ohm. out the pickup.
    make sure the temp wire is plugged in and not corroded.

"The exhaust temp sensor reads no continuity at 80 degrees which also seems OK based on the declining resistance specified as temp increases and several k ohm spec at about 600 degrees."

Is that really how it should be?? I would think you should ALWAYS read some resistance on the sensor, just varying with temp (don't know the exact spec though)

Thread Information