Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SL1050 Fueling Issue

I'm trying to get my SL1050 which hasn't run in many years back at the dock. I recently rebuilt my carbs/pumps and ran all new fuel lines. I bolted the carbs up and gave it a shot. The motor starts, but seems to be only running on the mag cylinder. If I pull the Mag plug wire, it won't start. However, if I spray some starting fluid down either the middle or PTO carb, it will start and run until it runs out of starting fluid. All cylinders have spark and good compression. It will continue to run on just the Mag cylinder if I let it, so it's definitely getting fuel. There is also fuel in all of the fuel lines it seems.

I'm hoping you guys can give me some hints of where to look or things to test or try. I noticed a small fuel leak from the T fitting going into the middle carb. Could this be causing this situation? I pulled the carbs to have a closer look and take care of the leak. When I did so, the middle carb poured fuel out of the Oil inlet. Is this normal? Wasn't sure if it was a possible symptom so I figured I would mention it. Could the return be clogged? I'm pretty sure I saw fuel in the return line.

Also, the two things that I did not do were run new impulse lines and replace the little plastic valve that is T'd off of the fuel lines. Could this be causing the middle and PTO cylinder to not get fuel? Are the impulse lines just the same type of fuel hose as everything else? They looked a little different so I didn't mess with them. If they're the same I can run new lines tomorrow.

This is my first shot at doing this kind of stuff, so I don't have any other experiences to pull from to try and trouble shoot. Hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you checked for spark on the non working cylinders?

If there is spark, make sure the plug wires have not been swapped between those two cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Have you checked for spark on the non working cylinders?

If there is spark, make sure the plug wires have not been swapped between those two cylinders.
    Yes, there is spark on the non working cylinders. The plug wires are cut at lengths so that the PTO wire won't reach the middle plug.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1050 View Post
    Yes, there is spark on the non working cylinders. The plug wires are cut at lengths so that the PTO wire won't reach the middle plug.
    Stop using starting fluid!

Prime one of the non working carb throats with some real fuel. Does it start and run on that cylinder? If not then there is something wrong other than the carburetor.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Stop using starting fluid!

Prime one of the non working carb throats with some real fuel. Does it start and run on that cylinder? If not then there is something wrong other than the carburetor.
    Well, it was too late to try and start her up since she's outside and less than 10 feet from my neighbors house! But I did (hopefully) fix my fuel leak, run new pulse lines, and put the carbs back on. Will report back tomorrow if the non running cylinders fire with some fuel dropped down the throat.

Thanks!

Ok, both non firing cylinders will fire with some gas poured down the carbs. Today, if I get the PTO cylinder running on some fuel down the carb, it will continue running. So it is getting fuel as well. Maybe the new impulse lines helped.

The center cylinder will fire with gas poured down the carb, but won't stay running. I ran it with the two cylinders firing on the hose for a few minutes hoping maybe things just needed to clear out and truly get fuel in all the lines. No luck.

Also, contrary to my prior post, there does NOT seem to be fuel in the return line. There IS fuel in the lines going into the center carb. There are still some bubbles in all the fuel lines. Not sure what is normal or what is a possible symptom.

+1
    Post a picture of how the hoses are attached to the carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Post a picture of how the hoses are attached to the carbs.
    Like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1050 Carbs 1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	281316

T on the bottom right is in from the tank. 90 degree elbow at the top of the center carb is the return, and the horizontal ones on the pumps on the MAG and PTO carbs are the impulse lines, correct?

Banned User
    +1
    yes

I went ahead and pulled the carbs again. I was incorrect again about the return line. There WAS fuel in the return line. I was looking at the breather line going into the tank thinking it was the return.

Once again, there was fuel dripping out of the oil inlet on the middle carb, the other carbs didn't do that. Not sure if that's normal or a symptom.

So there is fuel going into and out of the middle carb, but that cylinder is not getting fuel. I'm stumped.

Help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information