Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakland, Maine
    Posts
    355
    +1
    19

    Filling in ride plate holes

    So I just removed my intake grate to clean it up and re-seal it with 3M 4200. After completing the job I have more than half a tube of 4200 left over. I've read that some people fill in the bolt holes on their ride plates but have never heard of anyone using 4200. This may be a dumb question, but can I use my leftover 4200 to fill in the bolt holes. I thought that it may be a good idea as long as I can smooth it out perfectly because I may want to remove the ride plate someday and it would be a lot easier to remove the 3M than JB weld or whatever else people use.


  2. #2
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaird4000 View Post
    So I just removed my intake grate to clean it up and re-seal it with 3M 4200. After completing the job I have more than half a tube of 4200 left over. I've read that some people fill in the bolt holes on their ride plates but have never heard of anyone using 4200. This may be a dumb question, but can I use my leftover 4200 to fill in the bolt holes. I thought that it may be a good idea as long as I can smooth it out perfectly because I may want to remove the ride plate someday and it would be a lot easier to remove the 3M than JB weld or whatever else people use.
    use 2 part epoxy stick and then sand flush.

  3. #3
    pokplalya22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    485
    +1
    4
    You will never get that plate off. There's a howto on a way to do it temporarily using some string. Check out the how to section

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakland, Maine
    Posts
    355
    +1
    19
    If I use the 2 part epoxy I don't think I'll ever be able to get the plate off again. Or will I?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakland, Maine
    Posts
    355
    +1
    19
    Using STRING????????

  6. #6
    YoYamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    21,538
    +1
    4,760
    I did that string thing on my RXT's it lasted for a while but they eventually blew out;
    what a waste of time...

  7. #7
    Avi8tor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    Posts
    826
    +1
    27
    You put the string around the bolt head and epoxy over that. If you need to remove the plate, take a screwdriver and poke through epoxy to string and you can easily remove the epoxy cap.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,274
    +1
    81
    I have used this same method with perfect results, the 1 pass of rope(1/4" braided nylon rope) around the bolt head keeps the epoxy off the hex portion so a socket will fit later if you have to remove it. A tap or two with a ball peen hammer will knock it out. You could also use a small piece of duct tape in a similar manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avi8tor View Post
    You put the string around the bolt head and epoxy over that. If you need to remove the plate, take a screwdriver and poke through epoxy to string and you can easily remove the epoxy cap.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakland, Maine
    Posts
    355
    +1
    19
    Thanks for the heads up YoYamma, guess I won't being going that route. Is it even worth the time and effort to fill in the holes. What type of gains do you see, .2 to .5 MPH?

  10. #10
    YoYamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    21,538
    +1
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaird4000 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up YoYamma, guess I won't being going that route. Is it even worth the time and effort to fill in the holes. What type of gains do you see, .2 to .5 MPH?
    Yeah I think it was something like that; I did the 2 part stuff and I even replaced one of them thinking the second time would hold better, but then I just gave up they kept popping out and I didn't feel like it was worth crawling under the trailer again. Some people get fanatical about this stuff; I'd rather be out on the water than mucking around in the garage but that's just me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Filling/sealing ride plate Holes??
    By pimpn in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 03:08 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 04:48 AM
  3. Where is the thread on how to fill the ride plate holes?
    By EAG8999 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 01:59 PM
  4. Anyone fill in ride plate holes?
    By Rodneyae in forum Honda Open Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 07:47 AM
  5. Filling the ride plates holes
    By somefun in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 11:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •