Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1

Comparison: GP1200 vs XL1200

Ok, already own a 97 GP1200.

Have an opportunity to buy a 98 XL1200 with a dead engine. Seller advises he pulled the head and there's a lot of head and cylinder/piston damage. Suspect a dropped oil line, same as what happened to my GP a few months back.

Is this the exact same engine between my 97GP and a 98XL? 65U?

Are there a lot of interchangeable parts?

What is the hull like? I know my GP is technically a 2 seater but is only realistic to ride 2 up with a kid, which mine does great with my daughter. 2 Adults? Better be willing to accept 50/50 odds you're going for a swim if you dare slow down. Is the XL similar in that it's OK with 2 adults, but 3 and you're gambling?

Obviously the XL is larger etc etc, but does it share some of the traits of the GP when it comes to performance, within reason? Will it launch itself right out of flat water....fly like crazy in the waves, etc?

+1
    Same 65U engine, so its the same horsepower in a bigger ski. The hull is built towards 3 person stability and won't feel as "sporty" as the GP1200.

+1
    Ok, seems like a kid was riding it and something happened....and they just kept on beating on it as long as it would continue running and it quit as they coasted into the shore. Had no spark on 1 cylinder after the fact so a mechanic replaced the CDI...only to find out it still wouldn't start. Compression test yielded 20PSI on one cylinder.

As mentioned, head, piston and sleeve damage. If the bottom end is salvageable (the big gamble) it might be worth an investment as a project ski for me and just do the top end myself as I did on my GP a while back.

Hull seems to be in good shape (awaiting more pics), rear seat needs to be recovered. Thinking of tossing out a $600 offer given it's basically almost end of season and nobody except project-seekers are really going to be interested now.

I see crate 65U's selling for about $1K so if it's not salvageable I'd still be in a somewhat reasonable final price at that offer..

How many parts are shared between the 2 skis? Worst case I could part it out for my own use on my GP in the future. I'm loving the GP too much to get rid if it, even if I bought the XL.

+1
    XL is great for cruising or pulling kids on a tube. Very stable, you can't turn it over with two adults. Torque is great, mine literally jumps out of the water. It weighs about 80 pounds more than a GP so you won't be jumping as high, however.

+1
    Thanks for the info, everyone. I decided to pass on it when I got some better pictures - it's a parts machine at worst, or a serious winter project (with a lot of $$$ to be invested) at best. At this point, as a total gamble when it comes to the engine I don't think I'd pay more than $250 for it - needs a new seat, new gunwale mats and there appears to be some front end damage (hard to tell exactly) near the front mooring clip. Too much to consider a reasonable gamble unless I got it for a song, and considering the seller is asking $1000 as is, I don't think a $250 offer would fly..so I advised him I'm passing.

Thread Information