+1

help with rear tie downs. trailer too small.

when i bought my ski the guy i bought it from said the trailer was found in a field and he put my ski on it, and i think the trailer is just too short.

this is how far back it sits off the end of the trailer.

ive tried moving the crank post in the front forward, but for some reason that makes the ski want to bounce. the bunks are going to need to be moved forward but then the v of the hull will try and hit the trailer.

see above how the strap goes along the side of the ski? its scratching it up and scuffing it.

my question is, should i just try to put a shoulder belt pad on the straps to protect the ski, or make a new tie down point on the trailer so the straps go under the trim tabs? the straps will be on the tabs in that case is that okay?

i see some people putting their straps down from the top of the ski but it looks like they could work themselves off to the side and then be loose

right now the tie down points are on the light brackets.

thanks for the help

+1
    Time to shop for a different trailer.

Craigs List sometimes has good deals on singles, then recoup when you sell yours.

Can you move the winch forward?

Quote Originally Posted by R-Doo View Post
    Time to shop for a different trailer.

Craigs List sometimes has good deals on singles, then recoup when you sell yours.

You don't show pictures of the front of the trailer. You should be able to move the winch forward and that will let you move the ski closer to the front.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaBayRXP-X View Post
    You don't show pictures of the front of the trailer. You should be able to move the winch forward and that will let you move the ski closer to the front.
    +1 show pic of front

Re: help with rear tie downs. trailer too small.

Ya that looks dangerous. Yeah sell it for stand up market. And buy a bigger one you can.find one probably for 300-500

+1

Re: help with rear tie downs. trailer too small.

I swear though, if you move the ski forward it bounces on the trailer. Its like the bunks are too far back.

+1
    Everything is adjustable on that trailer. You can slide axle forward, winch mount ( at bottom where it connects to trailer) and make new bunks. You can adjust it until you find the sweet spot.

If it were mine, to start , I'd slide the winch forward about 10 inches ( and slide ski forward) then adjust the axle forward until you get your tongue weight were you want it. I like to have about 40 lbs of tongue weight underneath your crank jack wheel, which can be checked just using a bathroom scale.

+1
    look at this pic though

if i slide the winch mount forward 10 inches, my bow right below the bow hook will be almost touching where the trailer splits.

and i assumed that the bunks were why it bounced, because if i slide the ski forward and leave the bunks alone, then the skis weight is on the front portion of the bunks. i cant really push the bunks too far forward because the first cross bar is right where the trailer goes from widening to being straight

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed View Post
    look at this pic though

if i slide the winch mount forward 10 inches, my bow right below the bow hook will be almost touching where the trailer splits.

and i assumed that the bunks were why it bounced, because if i slide the ski forward and leave the bunks alone, then the skis weight is on the front portion of the bunks. i cant really push the bunks too far forward because the first cross bar is right where the trailer goes from widening to being straight
    YES you have plenty of room. the ski can be about 3 inches form the split. it wont hurt it if your worried get a piece of rubber to mount to cover the Y in the trailer below the hull.
    also move the front wheel fwd if needed.. that trailer will work fine. its ok for the ski to hang off a little bit.. just make it balanced better with decent tongue weight so it wont bounce or swerve on the highway.

Thread Information