Thread: my 03 xpdi

+1

my 03 xpdi

Hey guys, I just purchased an 03 XP DI, read a few negatives about them, but I think Ive got a fairly decent boat.. I can do my own work, and im versed with fuel injection..

So after replacing the bad gas, on an engine the seller thought would need replacing, with 90psi on both holes, I got her to spark off and run with 150 psi in both holes. I *think* the previous owner tried to do a topend kit on this ski, before trading it in, and not getting it to start.. The head bolts show some wear on the torx lobes.. and the topend color doesnt match the head.. So I feel like the luckiest guy in the world!!!

my XP will run about 6850 rpms on 93 octane. I put in 89 last night, it turned 6900-6950.. Figured I would run the tanks out in it, before going with 87 octane.
    I like the performance of the ski, 40-60 mph (on the DO) it runs really, really good.. lots of acceleration. It doesnt get out of the hole as good as I would like (im 6 foot 235 lbs.. so i figured thats what it is.. ), but once up on plane, which only takes a second, it will accelerate like a maddog. I believe its all stock..
    I like the ski, its great for turning on a dime, and it has good-great all around speed/ acceleration.. but I did find there wasnt much to do for performance options with this model..

-one of the more annoying things though, is it wont stay hooked up at full throttle in rough conditions (anything over 10 mph wind conditions on the lake..)
    - I also have been wondering about a prop.. how much bang for the buck? what, the stock impeller is 15/21? right? and a solas concord would be 15/20?
    - PPG kit.. Ive had a few people point me to this kit.. is there anyone currently running the kit? my main concerns would be with reliability, and more low-mid range punch.. what about the impeller that comes with the kit, the nujet, over the solas?

So, the rave valves are turned all the way in, I havent touched them.. I noticed when I flushed the engine the water regulator on the back exhaust bock was leaking water out of a hole.. Ive ordered a new diaphragm, but im still curious to see how much that really affects the performance if any.. I cant tell any difference between before and after, and dont know if it leaked before..

sorry for the long post, I love this ski!

+1
    Dont know much about the xp but as far as the PPG kit I had one on a 02 gtxdi and it really woke that motor up. The all around performance of the ski was impressive. I wouldnt worry about putting it on your ski. Spend the money and enjoy the smile.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Hey, glad to see another from the DFW area. The Di skis should use 92 octane or atleast my Di does. The RAVE valves settings? i'd have to look at mine but i think they are just one TAB mark from the top.. As far as the PPG....to each his own but with the DI's being so finicky i wouldnt. Last thing...If you plan to do your own work as far as repairs and maint you need to get a CD manual and either have access to BUDS or get yourself a CANDoo Pro system.

+1
    I will double check, but I think, the 03's can use 87.. its either the 04's or the 01's that have to use above 92.. but I will double check..

anyone have any reviews on the aftermarket sponsons? Ive heard Worx makes a good kit, but im not to experienced on how these would change the ride ?

Im afraid to tamper with the ski too much really,, it runs too good, and I need my ride for the rest of the year..
    I was going to go buy a new one, but just cant stand to make payments, and I got this one for such a good deal, and it runs good, so im set.

+1
    I would stay away from lower octane pump gas. The exhaust temps run fairly high on a DI motor. Higher than 87/89 octane can tolerate sometimes. Way too many DI motors have melt downs from poor gas. My shop is in Garland, at least it is when I am actually there. I have several 951 carb'ed and DI ski's. Would maybe like to do some comparisons sometime if you are interested. All of my DI's are currently dead right now, but thats the way I like to buy them. Working on getting one up in the next few weeks. But it takes the back burner when real work gets in the way.

Thread Information