Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

1200's (Genesis/Virage) carbs vs FFI/DI - pros/cons

As I search for a Genesis I am trying to decide which version I prefer. I like the idea of DI in general. I've never owned a two stroke ski though. I'm comfortable with electronics. Not so comfortable with $1k parts bills. I am comfortable wrenching on things. How difficult is a carb rebuild (x3) and how hard is it to get the carbs adjusted and how much fiddling do they require. Obviously the DI is plug and play until something goes wrong.

Discuss
    -

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    DFI Technologies repairs the EMM for circa $700 depending on the failure. This is the most expensive repair within the electronics system. Once repaired they tend to keep working.

The TPS which if original is liable to fail is circa $100. The new replacement TPS are an improved design.

Starter solenoid, if original, should be replaced. Common to both carburetor and fuel injected models.

I prefer the fuel injected engines overall. Much easier to operate and maintain than the carburetor versions. No choke, no worries about rich or lean, no carburetors to clog up or need cleaning and rebuilding. Instant starts hot or cold, smooth linear throttle response. EMM compensates for air pressure and temperature changes. Rather good fuel economy for a large watercraft.

Ficht engines meet California Low Emissions One Star rating, primarily due to the minimal unburned fuel in the exhaust. Carb engines tend to waste a portion of their fuel by allowing it to flow right through the engine and exit through the exhaust unburned. That same minimal fuel escaping from the exhaust translates into good DI fuel economy.

Winterizing is simple and straightforward. Only significant difference is that the Ficht machines must have the nose tipped upwards more than ten degrees in order to fully drain the cooling system. Not hard to do on the trailer. Once drained it can be stored level or nose high.

Banned User
    +1
    My carbed X45 walked away from an injected Virage TXI once though..........

+1
    *sigh* There is a 2004 Genesis i with ~150 hours for sale right near by on the lake we're at. But the listed price is $4k and the lowest he will go is $3500. The hours are more than I'd like, and the season is almost over. I think $2xxx is the most I would go. (I think I irritated him by explaining that Polaris stopped making them and dealer support and parts availability is questionable...)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    *sigh* There is a 2004 Genesis i with ~150 hours for sale right near by on the lake we're at. But the listed price is $4k and the lowest he will go is $3500. The hours are more than I'd like, and the season is almost over. I think $2xxx is the most I would go. (I think I irritated him by explaining that Polaris stopped making them and dealer support and parts availability is questionable...)
    Way too much..Wait till the off season you can do better than 3500. Or if you're willing to put the time in, get one broken & fix it! I find basket cases around here for 500. & under. I'm running 2 Genesis this year (1 carb & 1 DFI) that I put together from 3 clunkers. Tons of fun for under 2 grand!

+1
    Indeed one way to take the worry out of engine condition when buying a watercraft is to buy one that is NOT running. If you rebuild the engine then you KNOW the condition of the engine and have some confidence regarding how long it will last in your hands.

If you buy a running machine, even with low engine hours, that engine may or may not last for you. So much depends on prior maintenance, storage practices, and how the engine was used or abused.

Another factor in favor of buying a broken engine is that while the engine is out you can inspect and maintain everything that is hard to get at with the engine in place. Often you will find hoses that are rubbing/wearing against something, clamps that are getting loose, gunk and oddball parts or tools hiding under the engine.

And of course the price to buy a non-running machine is generally much more affordable up front. If you have to pay for a complete engine rebuild then the total cost does add up but you have the advantage of knowing the engine is good.

+1
    And with more & more shops refusing to work on them, you will end up doing your own work. You might as well get used to it.
    As far as DFI Vs carb, These two run neck & neck but the DFI comes out ahead at the gas pump. We did about 50 miles down the Taunton river almost to Newport RI this weekend & the DFI used about 1/8 of a tank less.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Or if you're willing to put the time in, get one broken & fix it! I find basket cases around here for 500. & under. I'm running 2 Genesis this year (1 carb & 1 DFI) that I put together from 3 clunkers. Tons of fun for under 2 grand!
    Let me know if you see any more around you, or if you'd like to sell one of yours

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    ... As far as DFI Vs carb, These two run neck & neck but the DFI comes out ahead at the gas pump. We did about 50 miles down the Taunton river almost to Newport RI this weekend & the DFI used about 1/8 of a tank less.
    Which models were these?

How much of each tank got consumed?

How accurate do you think that estimated 1/8 tank difference is?

+1
    They are both in 00' genesis injected hulls, but I converted one over to carbs. (parts from a 99") And the DFI ski has an EMM & injectors from an 03 MSX 140. So it's hard to say Exactly what yr/model
    The injected ski has 1/2 tank on the MFD & the carb. has one line less.
    Looking at the tanks I'd say it" pretty close.
    Single rider on each ski, both started totally full, & our riding styles are the same (WFO)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information