Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

FX Cruiser SHO Oil Change????

Hey guys, it is time after tomorrow to do my 10 hour service. I bought the filter and was a little confused about the oil. Which Yamalube is the best to run it? Is this the Yamalube everybody is running?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/yamalube...#productscroll

It is 10w-40 and a mineral oil and not synthetic. I run Amsoil in everything else, but will probably stick with Yamalube. Manual is not real clear as it only says Yamalube and list about 4 different viscosities?

+1
    i've been using Mobil 1 10-40 motorcycle oil since my ten hour oil change, no reason to not use synthetic except price, and even then how often you going to change the oil ??? not enough to make a dent in the wallet

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    i've been using Mobil 1 10-40 motorcycle oil since my ten hour oil change, no reason to not use synthetic except price, and even then how often you going to change the oil ??? not enough to make a dent in the wallet
    I could care less about the price considering the cost of the new toy!!!! I have always ran Amsoil synthetic in all my toys and might do the same. It is easy for me to gt Amsoil, but I was going to use the Yamalube this time since it is a new ski and I have to go into the dealer on Monday anyways....

+1
    Isn't it better to keep using mineral oil (Yamalube) until the engine is fully broken in before switching to full synthetic? I have about 40 hours and now I am considering switching to Amsoil Marine 10w-40 synthetic.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon99 View Post
    Isn't it better to keep using mineral oil (Yamalube) until the engine is fully broken in before switching to full synthetic? I have about 40 hours and now I am considering switching to Amsoil Marine 10w-40 synthetic.
    That is what I was thinking and the reasoning for sticking with the Yamalube for a little while longer before making the switch.

+1
    It doesn't matter when you switch, but I am putting Amsoil in at my 10hr first oil fill with my new filter. Many new engines especially cars, come from the factory with synthetic. I have also converted all my other cars to synthetic after first conventional oil change. Never a problem. Everything runs like a top.

Whats the point in putting synthetic in if you are waiting dozens and dozens of hours or thousands of miles before you put it in? I want it in as soon as possible as thats when the engine is the tightest and engine life so critical, and rings seating etc.

Just my two cents.

+1
    There are so many threads on oil it is unbelievable. My two cents are that it depends how often you will use the ski will determine which oil/filter you will want to use. Oil expense is minor, or is it? I'm not hurting for money but I don't waste it either. If you use your ski a lot you could be doing a oil change every other month and if you do that then expenses can be cut in half by using non synthetic oil and a non oem filter. If you will only put 50 hours a year on the ski or less then heck yea put the expensive stuff in if that makes you comfortable. As long as they (oil and filter) meet manufacturer's specs then your warranty will remain intact no matter. The Amsoil guy on GH will eventually speak up but my take is that the real advantage to synthetic is lack of breakdown in viscosity. But if you do your oil change every 50 hours there won't be the slightest breakdown in a quality non synthetic at all anyway. Synthetic is "slippery'er" but with the requirement for wet clutch specifications for your supercharged engine it can't be any slippery'er than a non synthetic. As for your oil filter. It has been a long time since I bought a Yami filter so I don't really remember how much they cost. But Yami doesn't make their own oil filter obviously and the U.S. direct version is made by NAPA. I think the NAPA filter is $5 or something like that. If you go with Yami, order it online...same with Amsoil. I use Valvoline ATV oil and the NAPA filter and have 320 hours in 17 months on my ski. BTW be sure to keep all receipts of oil changes and a maintenance log so that you can prove you did the right things if you make a warranty claim.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I have Amsoil in my ski now Synthetic 10w40 advanced motorcycle oil, will not foam, does not contain friction modifiers, has plenty of zinc in it for corosion and rust...........use stock oil filter though.......i cut open the Yamaha filter and a car filter..........there diffrences in the filters the Yamaha one is built much stronger and has some pressure reliefs built into it.......the car one was not as strong (side wall) and didnt have any pressure relief, only a anti drain back valve...... Im on 54 hours now. Think about how excessive oil pressure is @ 8k + rpms........ car oil filters are not designed to take that kinda abuse, also the Yamaha filter had welded end caps inside and the car ones were pressed in with some sort of ridge lock......That must be why the Yamaha filter is expensive its internals are built stronger

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    I have Amsoil in my ski now Synthetic 10w40 advanced motorcycle oil, will not foam, does not contain friction modifiers, has plenty of zinc in it for corosion and rust...........use stock oil filter though.......i cut open the Yamaha filter and a car filter..........there diffrences in the filters the Yamaha one is built much stronger and has some pressure reliefs built into it.......the car one was not as strong (side wall) and didnt have any pressure relief, only a anti drain back valve...... Im on 54 hours now. Think about how excessive oil pressure is @ 8k + rpms........ car oil filters are not designed to take that kinda abuse, also the Yamaha filter had welded end caps inside and the car ones were pressed in with some sort of ridge lock......That must be why the Yamaha filter is expensive its internals are built stronger
    Did you do this with the NAPA? Both NAPA and Yami get the same oil filter from Wicks.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I had a K&N HP1010 burst on my Honda Aquatrax......I noticed leaking where the welded nut was on top.....I ignored it because it was a 12 dollar filter....rode for a while then I smelled oil burning and oil light came on.........took seat off the filter had burst on top, no engine damage, but K&N would not honor any warranty because the filter was used on a diffrent application.....the HP1010 fits Honda civics, accords

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information