Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 2002 Polaris Freedom fuel pump problems...please help!!

I bought a 2002 Freedom a month ago. I took it out on the lake the first time and ran it for about four hours but it was running really lean and I had to keep it about half choked(I know not good but I wasnt thinking). Before I took it out again I cleaned the carb to hopefully fix the lean issue but the damage was done. I found out that the pistons were burnt up and I had no compression on the front cylinder. Since then I have done a top end rebuild, cleaned carbs, replaced fuel lines, new spark plugs. I thought everything was set up right and took it to the lake last weekend to try to break in the new pistons and rings. With it parked at the dock I started it up and let it idle for about 5 minutes to warm up then shut it off to let it cool. Then started it up and took it out and was running it less than half throttle on and off for about 10 minutes then it started again...I had to choke it to keep it running. I started back to the dock and it died. Swapped plugs on the water just to eliminate fouled plugs but still couldnt get it started. Took it back home and that's where is sits.

Today I have checked fuel lines that are all clear, pulled the carb and cleaned it fully. Nothing obvious was clogged up in the carb but everything was clean. The only thing I am not sure about is the fuel pump/diaphram on the side of the carb. Nothing happens when I blow air into the pump. It makes sense for it to be bad because all the problems tend to point to bad fuel pump but I have no idea how to test it??? Also, how much pressure and suction should it be getting from the line that connects to the fuel pump from the bottom end of the engine?? I pulled the line and plugged it with my finger while I turned over the engine and can feel it sucking and blowing but it wasnt a huge amount. I didnt know if that was working correctly or not.

Please help give me any ideas on that fuel pump or anything else I can troubleshoot. I would love to have it out on the water again asap.

Thanks a lot

UPDATE:
    Got the carb completely clean, the fuel pump vacuum check i think is working because when i blow and suck it clicks open and closed. I installed the carb back on the jet ski. Cleaned the water seperator. Checked the vacumm checks and they seemed to be working right, air only blows one way. After verifying lots of spark and good compression I tried to start it. I tried to start for a few minutes and the plugs were completely dry so it wasnt getting gas. I even tried a shot of starting fluid and it only seemed to make it rev a little faster but still not start. I made sure gas was getting to the carb and the fuel/water seperator bowl filled all the way up so I guess that means its sucking it to the carb but not spraying it into the engine?? Also is there anyway the timing is off helping to cause the lean issues and now the issues of not starting at all??

Anyone have any ideas please help me cause I'm totally lost...

Bump...any help is greatly appreciated...

I was just looking at some parts diagrams for the fuel pump and fuel pump gaskets. The gasket kit shows a inner gasket, a plastic diaphram/seperator gasket, and a rubber gasket. When I got my ski there was not a diaphram gasket on the fuel pump. Would that have been whats causing all my problems?? I think this might be my problem but somebody else help me out cause im just shooting in the dark...

attached is a part diagram, what parts is missing?

Never use starting fluid, just pour a small amount of fuel directly into the open carb bore, then try to start.
    Probably the easiest way to determine fuel flow would be to disconnect the return line at the fuel tank sender once the engine runs on its own.

If you unable to start(as you have indicated) go back to square one and make sure you did not have a repeat failure.
    Check compression and/or inspect piston/cylinders with a piston light.

You can visually inspect static timing through the timing port plug on the stator housing - rotate the mag piston to TDC and make sure the pointer in the casting is aligned with the flywheel "T" mark.

The freedoms were a very basic engine, so it should not be difficult to troubleshoot.

FYI - I believe you started a thread in the wrong section for diag questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freedom.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	281451  

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, under Polaris this was the only place I thought I could put it. Could an Admin move it for me...

Also, the part that is missing is the middle gasket under the number 3 in your picture. I think whoever did the carb last forgot to put it back in. I have ordered that piece but with it missing would it cause the problems I have been describing??

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mallen14 View Post
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section, under Polaris this was the only place I thought I could put it. Could an Admin move it for me...

Also, the part that is missing is the middle gasket under the number 3 in your picture. I think whoever did the carb last forgot to put it back in. I have ordered that piece but with it missing would it cause the problems I have been describing??

Yes it could

Ok, well I've got those gaskets ordered and should have them in a week or so. Hopefully that will fix the lean problems cause everything in the carb is perfect and I had never worked with diaphragm fuel pumps before and really have no idea how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by mallen14 View Post
    the part that is missing is the middle gasket under the number 3 in your picture.
    The middle 'gasket' is actually not a gasket at all, it is the diaphram that moves fuel from chamber to chamber - that would definitely affect fuel flow.
    In a pinch(i've been there) a thick plastic freezer ziplock bag can be used as a temporary fix(or test).
    Years back a buddy used tyvek - still in use

Circled in red below is the diaphram (the three cylinder had a better pic so I used it instead for reference)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freedom3.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	281455  

Yeah that's the piece that was missing...and again, hopefully will fix my problems cause I can find no other fault in my fuel delivery.

Will the ziplock bag hold up or will the gas break down the plastic??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information