Cool msx140 intermittent start.. cranks.

hi, i'm verynew to this wonderful forum, just not sure how and where to post,,,, i'm having similair problems with my 2004 msx 140... cranks but won't start.. every now and again it will just start and run for minutes, die and restart.. die and not run for some time... fuel pres. 20.. regulator in place. pinch goes to 30.. got spark just maybe sometimes looks not steady... codes53..12..17,,47...49,,, cant seem to clear codes.. (folowing proceedure idk..)coolant temp 1020ohm..crank 147ohm..air temp 1050ohm..new battery.. when running noticed 13.2volts... while cranking im watching rpm and getting low numbers.. 50, 100 sometimes 150... when it wants to start sometimes im seeing 300 or better.. but mostly when it won't start its 50, 100, 150... thinking low rmp signal but it must be ok im getting fuel pressure ??? please help me....lol... cant seem to clear codes/// tps unplugged no change. never checked stator yet, could it be... just weird how it will statrt and run then not... i thought i read about watching rpm on dash....

spark seems good... all cyclinders... 20volts at injectors.. 20 psi.. clamp off shoots to 30plus. cranks and cranks no start....fuel down the intakes... still no start... compression about 105 all across the cyclinders....NEED HELP WITH THIS ONE.!!!!!!... THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN BOOM SHE STARTS FOR A BIT...

now after letting it sit.. boom it starts right up....hmmmmmmmm... so im getting 45volts when running.... now the damn thing won't mess up.. but i did notice doing a wiggle test.. the tps is def acting weird.. move the harness close to the tps body and the rpm's are acting weird.. tap on it and also the rpm"s are fluctuating.... unplugged it revs high... ive done this before when it wouldnt run , unplugged but still wouldnt start.... Its driving me crazy.... would this give me these kinds problems.... where can i buy one...???? any automotive one will fit ??? help !!!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    A bad TPS can cause all manner of strange problems, including no-start and engine running badly.

Check for excessive dielectric grease inside the TPS connector sockets and pins. (Polaris spec says NO dielectric grease in the TPS connector).

If that is clean then hunt for broken or loose wires in the wire harness or TPS pigtail.

Alo check that the TPS pins actually fit tightly into the metal sockets.

Since there is no test that will tell you if a TPS is good, the best disgnostic approach is simply to install a new TPS. If it turns out that your old TPS was good then you will have a spare, which is a good thing to have.

Thanks k447... Where should i buy one.. Ebat got a brand new in package for $130. When ut was running i was moving around the tps harnessright where it goes into the tps and it was doing some weird rpm stuff... Ok gonna get one and see... Thanks.. Would unplugging it always give a start...

One quick question... The 5 volt reference at the tps. Is it there with lanyard in.. Im only getting it when cranking... Is that correct...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rocman5190 View Post
    One quick question... The 5 volt reference at the tps. Is it there with lanyard in.. Im only getting it when cranking... Is that correct...
    The lanyard is not a 'key'. It is simply an engine kill switch signal to the EMM.

Inserting the lanyard does not 'wake up' the system.

The Start button itself does not wake up the EMM either. The Start button simply cranks the engine via the starter motor.

The EMM activates when it senses the engine is rotating via electrical pulses from the stator + flywheel and CPS sensor. The EMM then powers up the TPS and the other sensors and also signals the dash display to wake.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rocman5190 View Post
    Thanks k447... Where should i buy one.. Ebat got a brand new in package for $130. When ut was running i was moving around the tps harnessright where it goes into the tps and it was doing some weird rpm stuff... Ok gonna get one and see... Thanks.. Would unplugging it always give a start...

Check with a Polaris dealer. 130 seems pretty pricey. I think they sell for around 90 bucks from a dealer.

Sold it on craigslist for $600... Had no time to fix,,,, needed emm and a tps...

+1
    Thanks for the update.

Perhaps the new owner will become a member here

Thread Information