Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I keep falling off my Hurricane. help?

ok so this is really embarrassing but i cant seem to stay on my jetski. I'm new to this and got myself a Polaris Hurricane 1996 750cc

probably my first mistake as its so fast.its like you have been catapulted from standing point to 1000mph

basically i keep falling off when i want to turn direction. i think its because i slow right down to turn and thats when all goes wrong but i dont have the guts to turn at high speeds encase i fall off.i feel if i do turn sharp at high speeds the jetski will lean to one side and i will fall of.

it also dont help that im driving this in the sea at my local beach and there were alot of waves and its hard to balance.

also at a certain high speed my jetski jumps out of the water and when i crash back down into the water i have to ease of the throttle because its very uncomfortable. plus the bang of the water as the jetski hits back into the water. will this damage anything?

should i be standing or sat down ? im sure everyone falls off on their first time but maybe not as many times as me
    [/U]

any tips or help would be appreciated
    Last edited by K447; 08-26-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    The Hurricanes are known for tossing people, but I hear they are a ton of fun.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Find some smoother water and learn how your machine needs to be ridden

The stock Hurricane hull has some handling 'challenges'.

Is your Hurricance in stock configuration?

At speeds above 25mph or so the nose tends to porpoise up and down constantly. The cure is to modify the ride plate by making it longer. This is a custom modification since longer ride plates were never manufactured commercially as far as I can tell.

Cornering stability can be improved by adding aftermarket sponsons designed for a Seadoo HX. Member Wetwolf on here has posted more info about HX sponsons on his Hurricane.

The Hurricane hull is rather narrow which means it gets most of its stability from the engine power and hull speed. If you slow down too much the stability goes away. Try increasing power to re-stabilize the hull when you feel it is getting close to tipping.

The Hurricane has an unusual hull bottom shape which means it handles 'differently' from any other Polaris model. The hull is also fairly short which makes it very responsive, but also adds to the handling challenges.

Top: Hurricanes came from the factory with red two cylinder engines of 700cc, not 750

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    +1
    lolololol, welcome to riding a Hurricane dont worry about the slapping sound, they all do it in the ocean (the hull has a rather flat front striker section rather than a deeper V). But like k447 said, find some flat water and dont be afraid to let it lean over, thats the fun of a hurri. They wont turn unless you lean into the corners, and if you try and keep it upright while cornering the whole ski overbalances and rolls (or spits you off). Its basicly a motorcycle on water. I usually stand on mine in choppy water, like a would on a dirt bike, as it allows you to shift your weight forward or back to get drive or stop porpoising a bit. Need to work to hurri more than most sitdowns, but they are a bit more novice freindly than a HX or waveblaster.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    This is a custom modification since longer ride plates were never manufactured commercially as far as I can tell.

Cornering stability can be improved by adding aftermarket sponsons designed for a Seadoo HX. Member Wetwolf on here has posted more info about HX sponsons on his Hurricane.

They were manufactured commercially in small numbers. Numbers so small you have a better chance of winning the lottery than you do finding one. Most people add some kind of four inch extension. Grab the throttle and hang on.
    Would love more info as I have aftermarket HX sponsons waiting to go on. Stock HX sponsons will not work as there are integrated with the rub rail by the looks of it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    They were manufactured commercially in small numbers. Numbers so small you have a better chance of winning the lottery than you do finding one. Most people add some kind of four inch extension. Grab the throttle and hang on.
    Would love more info as I have aftermarket HX sponsons waiting to go on. Stock HX sponsons will not work as there are integrated with the rub rail by the looks of it.
    You can see them peeking out in the third pic: http://www.wetwolf.com/hurr/hurr.htm

+1
    I must say that this Thread title should win a "Thread Title of the Year" award or something. I knew this forum had tons of info for everyone, but never expected a question like that!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    I must say that this Thread title should win a "Thread Title of the Year" award or something. I knew this forum had tons of info for everyone, but never expected a question like that!!!
    This forum has something for everyone.

It sounds more like the OP decided to get a jet ski, did some shopping, and came across a deal on this yellow, red, and white water rocket. "Hey, that looks pretty cool and the price is right" he thought to himself. Little did he know that he bought a barrel with handlebars and a 95HP engine

Frankly, I'd say he's pretty lucky that he bought a Polaris and searched around and found this site. At least here he will get courteous people that are willing to help. I know other forums are full of punks that would trash the OP for not knowing what he's doing.

As far as I'm concerned, riding hard enough to toss yourself off the ski is half the fun!

KJ

on straightaways, slightly tip the hull to the side onto one of the side keels and the porpoise action goes away.
    and yes as others have stated - got to commit on the corners.

thanks for help.i am going to just man up and go for a sharp corner and see if i can crack it. . so from a stand still if i full lock the steering then full revs and lean one side like you do on a motorbike i should make the turn in style ? lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information