Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

Exclamation My Nightmare has happened

Was out on the lake yesterday, and my SO was riding the ski over to the boat i was at. I noticed her finger was bleeding and she pointed to the edge of my ski....have NOOOO idea what happened!!! She swears she wasn't docked anywhere for anything to happen. And the boat it was tied too, had inflattables around it, so i don't know wtf happened, but it has me sick to my stomach! What type of fix am i looking at here????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	620 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	281429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	281430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	281431  

A little filler, sanding and some paint. I'll gladly trade that for the prop I busted yesterday!

+1
    Okay, dumb it down for me lol....im new to this....what do you mean filler??? where do i get it? how do you sand it? and where do i find the paint??

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Dont feel bad. I put a good scratch on the underside of my ski right up near the bow hook. I make it out to be worse than it is, feel like my ski is gonna sink next time out. Still pissed off even though it was my fault.

+1
    here's another
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new image 4.jpg 
Views:	1394 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	281432  

+1
    I'm even more pissed that i don't know wtf happened. It looks like it was beat off by a rock or something.

This is a typical type of damage I have seen many times, and a pretty simple repair. I have been thinking about making a video on how to fix this, as a neighbor has an RXP with exactly the same damage I could use to demonstrate.

Essentially, you fill the gouges level with a paste of gel coat and cabosil, then you put on a final coat of straight gel coat, then sand, then buff. With this type of damage on black gel coat, you wont see the repair at all, it will look like new. I have fixed lots of these; black is the most forgiving color of all, due to no issues with color match. (black is the hardest color to bring to a good shine and keep it that way, but the easiest to fix)

The reason I was thinking about the video is that I have never seen anything out there that actually shows the proper way to fix this type of damage. You have supposed *experts* recommending mylar film overcoating or PVA, and there is no reason to use either anymore as you can just buy the gel coat (in the proper color) from GelCote, Intl, who make the actual gel that Sea Doo uses, and it is already mixed with wax additive which provides the surface protection for proper hardening.

8. +1 by:

+1
    OMG if you would do a video I would WORSHIP you forever!!!!!! I am a complete retard when it comes to fixing something, especially when it comes to something i have never done before. You would help out soooo many of us!!!! ESP me b/c i havent been able to sleep or eat since this shit happened!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    This is a typical type of damage I have seen many times, and a pretty simple repair. I have been thinking about making a video on how to fix this, as a neighbor has an RXP with exactly the same damage I could use to demonstrate.

Essentially, you fill the gouges level with a paste of gel coat and cabosil, then you put on a final coat of straight gel coat, then sand, then buff. With this type of damage on black gel coat, you wont see the repair at all, it will look like new. I have fixed lots of these; black is the most forgiving color of all, due to no issues with color match. (black is the hardest color to bring to a good shine and keep it that way, but the easiest to fix)

The reason I was thinking about the video is that I have never seen anything out there that actually shows the proper way to fix this type of damage. You have supposed *experts* recommending mylar film overcoating or PVA, and there is no reason to use either anymore as you can just buy the gel coat (in the proper color) from GelCote, Intl, who make the actual gel that Sea Doo uses, and it is already mixed with wax additive which provides the surface protection for proper hardening.
    +1. I would love to see a video on how it is done. I have to do a few repairs on my ski too.

+1
    FYI-just purchased that kit you reccomended...anything else i need????

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information