Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VX Cruiser questions

Hi folks, I am new to the forum and new to PWC as well. Just sold our snowmobiles and looking to buy a pwc, we already have a boat.
    From searching the forum i pretty much decided a VX Cruiser is our best choice for what we want because of its dependability, fuel consumption and i do all my own mechanic work. Looking to buy a used one with trailer. Question... Is there a better year to look for or stay away from? Have they made any significant changes any certain years? What would be considered high hours?

The 2004-2009 VX machines are pretty much the same with minor upgrades. In 2010 Yamaha did a major overhaul on the VX, and improved the seating, the balance, the top deck and foot wells to give more leg room. They relocated the mirrors to a position that makes them harder to get bashed against docks, and raised the display to make it easier to view. They changed the intake grate, ride plate and sponsons to make the ski turn better. They also improved engine efficiency (by 10%), and moved some of the electrical components to different locations to help prevent vibration problems. The 2010-2012 models are all pretty much the same machine.

There are really no "bad" years, but I'd recommend looking for a 2008 or later, and if you can find a 2010 or later that would be even better. The 2007 and earlier skis tend to develop leaks around the joint pipe where the drive shaft passes through the hull due to a failure of the sealant Yamaha used. Its not a hard repair, but very labor intensive, since the engine has to be removed or at least shifted forward.

The VX is the most popular rental ski, and I'd beware of buying a used rental (skis that have 500+ hours are usually a tip-off that the ski is a former rental, and I'd say skis with more than 500 hours would be considered high). I'd say any ski with less than 200 hours is considered fairly low use, and you will often find them with less than 100 hours, which is barely broken in.

3. +1 by:

+1
    We bought a new 2011 VX Deluxe and we love it. Fuel mileage is great. We've have clocked close to 50 miles a ride and still had fuel left over. I imagine one could get around 60-65 miles on a tank. We cruise around 40-45mph with a top speed of 54mph 1 up and 48mph 2 up on gps. Handling is fantastic 1 or 2 up. I was surprised how well it does turns! The Deluxe and Cruiser skis have reverse and the Sport don't. You can't go wrong with the VX line. Don't over look the VXS and VXR skis too. Same hull design with the 1.8ltr engine.

How much more fuel would the VXS/VXR burn than the smaller VX motor? Maybe while pulling a tube it may use less? What is the difference between the VXS and VXR?
    Thanks again guys

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyinb View Post
    How much more fuel would the VXS/VXR burn than the smaller VX motor? Maybe while pulling a tube it may use less? What is the difference between the VXS and VXR?
    Thanks again guys
    Not sure about the fuel consumption. The VXS and VXR are the exact same ski. The VXR is a 2-seater and the VXS is a 3-seater.

+1

VXR vs VXS

Quote Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
    Thanks again guys
    Not sure about the fuel consumption. The VXS and VXR are the exact same ski. The VXR is a 2-seater and the VXS is a 3-seater.
    Both VXR and VXS are 3 seater VXR has different seat than VXS, Also VXR has rear boarding step, VXS does not. At least in 2012, this is the difference.

+1
    You can get roughly 85-90 miles to a tank on the VXR/VXS depending on riding style I believe. You may "out grow" the speed of the smaller engine VX's rather quickly. Depending on the location of the ski you buy average use is 50-100 hours per year. A ski that was been sitting unused for long periods of time can be just as bad as a ski that has been over used/rented.

Also, trailers are cheap enough where you might want to just buy a new one. Other wise inspect every aspect of a used trailer before hitting the road with it especially if it was used in salt water.

+1
    I love my VX Deluxe but as Capt. Kirk commanded...Scotty I need more power! I thought about selling it and buying a VXR.

Well got a ski Ended up buying a 2005 VX Deluxe on a 2 place trailer in nice shape with about 47 hours on it. Gave $4500 for it. Got a valve to put on the intake hose so i can tow it behind our boat. Started and ran good but havent took it for a ride yet, this weekend we are heading to the lake. Any advice what to look for on this ski? oil level ect.

+1
    Started and ran good but havent took it for a ride yet, this weekend we are heading to the lake. Any advice what to look for on this ski? oil level ect.
    Congrats on the purchase. There are many posts on the oil level on these, they are dry sump, so always check the oil when hot, ski level.....midway between marks is good, I would reccomend no higher...........can easily foul the airfilter if over filled. Plugs foul easily if motor is idled for too long when cold........any running problems, always change the plugs first......they are small diameter & it is not always obvious to see that they are fouled. Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information