Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Yamaha Speedometers????

They are absolutely useless. I am hammering full throttle on my '12 FX Cruiser SHO and it will say I am doing 23. Then bounce up to 52. It is a lot worse when I have it trimmed with the nose up. Even cruising at around 30 - 40 it bounces all over the place and I have the cruise on and water and it is like a mirror.

So my father-in-law got a 2012 FZS yesterday and we went out riding. Exact same thing. We pulled over and he said how fast was I going? He had no clue as he was running close to wide open and it said 19 MPH. A guy in our campground has an FX HO and he says the same thing. According to the speedomoeter on mine the fastest I have gotten is 52, but GPS says mid 60's? What gives?

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
    They are absolutely useless. I am hammering full throttle on my '12 FX Cruiser SHO and it will say I am doing 23. Then bounce up to 52. It is a lot worse when I have it trimmed with the nose up. Even cruising at around 30 - 40 it bounces all over the place and I have the cruise on and water and it is like a mirror.

So my father-in-law got a 2012 FZS yesterday and we went out riding. Exact same thing. We pulled over and he said how fast was I going? He had no clue as he was running close to wide open and it said 19 MPH. A guy in our campground has an FX HO and he says the same thing. According to the speedomoeter on mine the fastest I have gotten is 52, but GPS says mid 60's? What gives?

Mine on my FZS says 80.......but im only 75-76mph

+1
    Lots of times they get little strings of hair/weeds on the paddle wheel which slows them down. It wraps around the pin the paddle rotates on. My XLT does it all the time, the GPR hardly never. Same setup. Don't know why one is a pain all the time. Changes in ride plate, and angle will effect them due to turbulence in the water and differences in water flow. BTW, both my boats are pretty right on the speed when working right. My old Raider and GP1200 were way fast though.

+1
    They are not accurate, but several people have posted up about the 2012's being even worse than past years.

+1
    I always hear bad things about the speedo but I guess I'm lucky because mine always works fine. It may read 74 on the top end when it's only 70 on gps but it's very consistent.

+1
    The speedo on my '12 FX HO used to jump around a lot but it doesn't seem to do that anymore (53hrs) and it seems accurate up until somewhere around 35-40mph then progressively read higher than my gps... When I'm doing 58gps speed the speedo reads 63

+1
    I am fine with it reading a little fast. I can subtract 4 mph from the gauges and know what I am doing. But according to the speedo I have never went faster than 52. My 2000 is really consistent it just reads a little fast also with no problems. I know it is turbulence bc if i switch from the nose up setting to neutral while riding it will instantly pick up speed on the gauges and be a little more accurate. They are awful. One second it says 19, next second 52, then 34, etc...... while it is on cruise. It is not a necessity, but that is my only complaint about this ski!!!!!!!!!!

+1
    Hopefully, Yamaha will address it by switching to a GPS-based speedometer in the next couple of years. As inaccurate as their current design is, the speedo should just read "Moving" and "Stopped".

+1

Re: Yamaha Speedometers????

How many people have gotten speeding tickets due to this?

+1
    mine spins up to 88 on a regularly.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information