waverunner not able to go above 10mph, overheating?

So we were out this weekend on my 2 skis when after 15min of riding my ski (gp1200r stock yr 2000) would only go 10mph. It seemed like the engine had plenty of power but was just not kicking in. It would rev real loud but very little action. There were no warning lights that came on. I let the ski sit for about 1-2hrs and then it seemed fine again, i was able to get it going around 60mph as normal.

So I've done a little research and I'm thinking that the engine is overheating? And that there may be a problem with the cooling system? I am a total newbie and don't know much about engines, etc. I plan to call my guy at the shop to explain, but I was hoping to get some more knowledge before calling so that I could give him as much info as possible.

thanks!

+1
    If your engine is turning full or even half the RPM range and will only get 10 mph you have a pump problem. Either cavitation or trying to strip the splines on the pump shaft. If the ski isn't making RPM and bogging you have an engine problem or if there is a warning light or beeping it could be a issue like overheating.

Ok, so by what your saying it would be a pump problem? Again, I am a newbie and pretty much mechanically illiterate. So why would the ski perform normal after letting it sit for an hour or two? There was no warning light. Can you explain what you mean by "Either cavitation or trying to strip the splines on the pump shaft". What should I do? Do I need to take this to the shop? If so, what do I tell them?

+1
    If the splines on the intermediate shaft are stripping out it could be cooling after sitting and catching enough to turn the pump but will eventually strip to the point that it will not turn the pump at all. the best way to check it is ride it hard close to were you launch so if it does strip out you will be close to shore. it could be something as simple as sucking something into the intake and after sitting for a wile it fell out. the best thing is to ride it again to see if it does it again.

Thread Information