Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

PSI Genesis 990cc LIVES!

I finished break-in today. You know your having fun when you can barely hold on. With a little chop today I couldn't keep it full throttle long without going airborn. I was having so much fun I ran out of gas in the middle of the lake. Now I know what that blinking red light means. One concern though, from 5000 to 6500rpm I was getting a slight rattle noise. Not real loud, it seemed to only be when you were close to full speed and on top of the water. It didn't effect performance during the rattle either. Any thoughts? Also I was topping out at about 6500rpm(due to limiter?). I know I was told this machine should top out at 7400+rpm. How can I achieve this? And how would I hold on? Sounds like a good problem to have.

+1
    Perhaps a 785 CDI is in order??? The limiter is in the 7800 - 7900 range i believe.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Running out of fuel means you were at risk of lean conditions. The carbs can be momentarily starved for fuel as the remaining fuel sloshes away from the tank fuel pick up and the fuel pump sucks air into the fuel lines.

Running with very low fuel, especially on choppy water, is something you want to avoid.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    what cdi do you have now? I remember something about cutting a wire on the 780 cdi I think to raise the limit but probably not as much as you need.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Hard to say with rattle. Could be pipes touching. Pump bearing. Try with the seat pulled back. I would also try and put a air/ fuel seperator on it. They are hard to find.but life savers on 2 strokes. The yami guys run them alot. The triple pipe will make your arms stretch for sure. Take it easy till you know the carbs are dialed in right.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Glad to hear it's up and running.

As mentioned above, you do not want to run low on fuel. They will damage pistons fast.

Rattle may be the pipes rubbing together. Look for any wear marks. The kit came with some rubber squares to put between the pipes along with a velcro strap to try and hold them tight together.

As I asked you previously, what CDI is in the ski? You may only have a 6700 RPM rev limit.

Who told you that should top out at 7400 RPM? Those pipes are recommended to run around 6800-7000.

I did installed all kinds of rubber between the pipes, I'll try straping them together too. I assume it has the stock CDI, it doesn't seem to be altered in any way. What CDI should I try and find? I found the factory carb adjusting instructions and they are pretty simple and don't give starting point instructions. Any links to good starting point instructions? I running the mikuni 44mm carbs.

+1
    i have 97 785 cdi's for 120.00 shipped pm me if interested

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What numbers are stamped on the CDI you are using? I find it hard to believe someone bought that package and didn't address the elctronics part of it. PSi suggested a 1992 650 CDI with the triple pipes because it had a raised rev limit.

Randy's jetting for girls in the tech section is a good starting point.

Who said that motor should turn 7400 RPM? Pretty sure those kits came out before the 785 in 1997. So the best CDI Polaris had would have been a SLX 780 with 6800 RPM limiter. Unless PSI made a CDI for it.

It was a local guy that suggested the rpm range. I didn't put much thought into the exact rpm range I just thought it was higher than I was getting. The only number on the main box is 7073734. I think thats the box or reset switch number.If I get some time I'll pull it out and check the numbers on the CDI case in the box. I asume I won't get an accurate peak rpm till the carbs are tuned. Thanks for the carb info I'll start with that. Also when I was looking for numbers I noticed a big problem. All three spark plugs were loose. I noticed that after my first half throttle break-in period that two were loose so I put in three new plugs. So when I put them in I made sure they were really tight, I used a regular length 3/8 ratchet. Not a tool kit wrench. Then all three came loose, I've never had this happen on anything else before. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information