Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Virage i - will not stay running after Start button is released

I have a 2002 VirageI that has all of what appears to be the normal starting problems. Will start and then die. Can sometimes get it to stay running by holding the starter button on for a while after it has started.

Anyway, have put on the new lr503, the latest and greatest solonoid. Bla, bla.

Saw a post on here where a person held down his bilge pump switch and hit the start button at the same time. Said that allowed his ski to start for him. I figured what the heck and tried it. Doing this allowed my virageI to start instantly every time. My ski starts up perfectly now.

Hold the bilge pump button down while you hit the starter button, go figure. I know that is a fluke fix but it has worked every time all summer. Do you think this will work long term?

I bought it brand new in spring 2003 and this was the first summer I actully trusted it would start when I got to the water. First summer the family actually really enjoyed the ski.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Please confirm this is a fuel injected engine.

Which solenoid version have you installed?

Was the LR-503 module new?

The starting problem you describe has been present since the machine was brand new? What did the selling dealer do under warranty to try to correct the problem?

You and I have discussed this ski on the forum before. The dealer I bought it from told me it needed to get 30 hours or so on it and then it would begin to start better. By the time I hit that number it was off warranty. That dealer isn't in business any more so I must not be the only one they sold a lline of BS to.

The solenoid was bought from the polaris dealer that replaced the one that went under. It is black and it isn't really plastic but there is no metal on it. It is supposed to have the diode in it. I am on my third lr503. Either thay are all bad or I have three that are good.

It will usually start right up by crossing the posts on the solenoid. Running the bilage pump works great. I am guessing that somehow takes enough power to stop the surge that was supposed to be fixed with a solonoid upgrade.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbetzelb View Post
    You and I have discussed this ski on the forum before.

The dealer I bought it from told me it needed to get 30 hours or so on it and then it would begin to start better. By the time I hit that number it was off warranty. That dealer isn't in business any more so I must not be the only one they sold a lline of BS to.

The solenoid was bought from the polaris dealer that replaced the one that went under. It is black and it isn't really plastic but there is no metal on it. It is supposed to have the diode in it. I am on my third lr503. Either they are all bad or I have three that are good.

It will usually start right up by crossing the posts on the solenoid. Running the bilage pump works great. I am guessing that somehow takes enough power to stop the surge that was supposed to be fixed with a solonoid upgrade.
    Forgive me for not remembering every ski that I have assisted!

Quote Originally Posted by jbetzelb View Post
    Meant to get back a reply on this a while ago. K447 your spot on. The LR503 solved the issue. Ski starts instantly now.
    This prior thread suggests that the replacement LR-503 module corrected the problem. Apparently this is not the case now...

Post a photo of the start solenoid you have in there now. If the internal diode is missing or has failed then it will need replacement. The current 'Polaris' part number is actually a BRP solenoid.

Tip: Bilge does not have the letter a

It did seem the problem corrected for a little while. Half a season or so. Started happening agian so I went and bought another lr503 and it didn't change anything. Then I went to what was supposed to be the improved solenoid. I am not close to the ski so the actual pic is out but this link is what the solenoid I am using looks like.
    http://www.shopsbt.com/jetski/15-100-07.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    This prior thread suggests that the replacement LR-503 module corrected the problem. Apparently this is not the case now...
    The LR503 seems to have been used in only 99 from the diagrams. Everything since then Seems to be labeled LR505. Just newer revision? Not sure what the difference is from the LR503 to the LR505.

My understanding was:

99 Genesis - LR502 with separate regulator
    99 Genesis FICHT - LR503
    00+ Everything - LR505

I have the fuel injected version. I think it is still the lr 503.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    The LR503 seems to have been used in only 99 from the diagrams. Everything since then Seems to be labeled LR505. Just newer revision? Not sure what the difference is from the LR503 to the LR505.

My understanding was:

99 Genesis - LR502 with separate regulator
    99 Genesis FICHT - LR503
    00+ Everything - LR505
    My notes indicate that LR-503 was used on the Ficht engines (2000-2004) while LR-505 was used on the carburetor Virage and Genesis.

LR-502 was 1999 Genesis carburetor only with separate LR-31 voltage regulator.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    My notes indicate that LR-503 was used on the Ficht engines (2000-2004) while LR-505 was used on the carburetor Virage and Genesis.

LR-502 was 1999 Genesis carburetor only with separate LR-31 voltage regulator.
    Thanks for the info! Makes more sense.

Put this in the go figure catagory. Took the ski 200 miles to a nice lake for labor day weekend. Perfect weather for a weekend of boating and jet skiing. Dropped the ski in the water. Held the bilige pump button and hit the starter. Ski fired up perfectly. Died after about 10 seconds and that was all she wrote. No spark. Must have killed something. I will start digging through the no spark posts but any quick tips on a starting point? Like I said, fired up, ran for 10 seconds and died. On the bright side, it died before it left the doc so I didn't have to tow it in. My boat ran good so it wasn't a total loss.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information