Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Fishing Matagorda This Morning

Took the Waverunner out again fishing for a bit this morning. I tossed the net for some bait and came up with a nice batch of horse mullet and a couple of croaker. As I headed out of the jetties it was obvious this was going to be the smoothest day on the water I've seen yet on the ski. But on my way out to the rigs, my luck came through again as I sucked up someone's shrimp boat net into the jet which shut me down about a mile offshore. I got in the water and did my best to clear it, but could not get it unwrapped. The best I could do was cut what I could reach and then just idle back to the ramp some three miles away.

But, since I was moving slow, I tossed out a horse mullet to troll a bit. Pretty soon I had a near four foot BlackTip on the line and he was in a jumping mood, breaching at least a dozen times before coming ski-side. I let him play around a while to make sure he was going to be nice for me to dehook as I was using a wide gap hook and he had gotten it down nearly as far as his gill slits. I finally brought him into my lap and had a grip on him as I used my pliers to get him free. No sooner did I get the hook loose than he went to thrashing and I couldn't hold on so I sort of helped him get away from me with a lifting shove from the needle nose pliers. He was gone in a flash. While I was getting the hook out I was contemplating keeping him, but he had other ideas and I was compelled to agree with him once I lost my grip.

I caught a few smallish and medium gafftop every time I tossed a piece of frozen, dead shrimp out that I had brought from home. THen one of those gafftop became a nice slot redfish and he went into the cooler straight-away. Nearly back to the jetties I hooked another BT that was only about 30-32 inches and he too thought he could fly several times before he was boated and released. Once in side the jetties, I kept a horse mullet in the water and some shrimp on the other line which produced a smallish skipjack that released itself boatside during a 45-second long aerial demostration.

By then my free time was spent and I headed to the ramp slowly and loaded up. Now to pull the grate off the ski and get that net out and hope no seals were damaged by it. All in all, a frustrating but fun day even though things went all wrong again. Fish pullin' on your line and a red for supper ain't all that bad a deal.

My daughter and her family are coming down from the DFW area on Thursday night. I suspect we'll be on the sand or the skis fishing this coming weekend. I begged off work so I'm pulling some vacation time from Thursday to Tuesday to spend playing with my daughter, son-in-law, and two grand daughters ages 3 and 1. Whenever they come, we usually play in the sand a lot. I'm hoping that's their plan THIS time I've got plenty of shark baits and time to soak it if they're game again.

But I'm hoping they'll want to try some offshore jetski action and I'm hoping the wind continues out of the NE as it really smooths things out down here. Well, better get that red ready for the grill, slap some plugs in the Sea Doo, and get that net out of the Waverunner. These things are likely to get busy by the weekend.

Where are you located

+1
    I'm in El Campo, Texas about an hour from Matagorda and 45 minutes from Palacios.

Not sure where you are in La, but it's not too close to me. LOL I am south and west of Houston about 75 miles.

oh okay i was just asking cause the storm they got out in the gulf.

+1
    Dude, that storms not in the gulf - it's in your backyard! Really, Adam, good luck to you and your family this week.

+1
    Yeah, it's way east of us. We'll probably get a little rain and that's all. Yall hunker down.

+1

Hey Rev, this may sound crazy but do you know it's illegal in Mississippi to lick the slime off of those sail cats? It may be illegal other places too by now cause its been a while since I heard this but you actually can hallucinate by licking the slime.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 504tim View Post
    Hey Rev, this may sound crazy but do you know it's illegal in Mississippi to lick the slime off of those sail cats? It may be illegal other places too by now cause its been a while since I heard this but you actually can hallucinate by licking the slime.
    Hmmm! Sounds like it would be breaking the laws of decency and good sense anyways. LOL THey ARE slimey.

+1

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...e-sailcat-zone

Ok sorry rev I just found out it was a hoax. I always thought it was real 😄

+1
    Tim, have you been Kitten Huffing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information