Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia

Talking Not another oil-blow-by breather thread

I was looking at a couple a pictures of the 300X engine and had one of those "Where's Walley/Spot the differences" moments.

Why did Kawi delete the other breather?

See below

Original Marketing from Kawi
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kawasaki-Ultra-300x-Engine.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	281561

Actual Production Engine
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12_JT1500H_F_1-4.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	281562

Notice the second breather at the front of the engine (that's missing in the second pic). I take it that the breather in the first pic was a carry-over from the 250/260??

So the one they left connected comes up directly under the catch-can "in" hose. I wonder if you'd get as much oil through the catch can if the breather was at the other end instead?

So what's the benefit of removing the second breather (given Kawi removed it)?

Disclaimer: I don't have a blow-by or excess oil issue, I just thought this was interesting to see the original marketing material (picture) shows a second breather.

Warragul, Downunder
    well spotted wally yes mal it changed quite a few times from 2007, we have no idea why they removed it but i know some have sort of partly re-used just the rocker cover fitting. it was a crankcase breather originally. the one you are reffering to under the rear fitting is the head oil return to the crankcase.

Thread Information