Virage over oiling?

I have 02 virage 700 and couple of weeks ago lower connecting rod pin broke due to I believe crank bearing seized. Did not hurt top end. When I was putting back together noticed oil pump alignment marks way off at idle so I adjusted cable . Now smokes quite a bit and plugs missing and electrodes actually sticky to touch. New plugs installed with same result. Are oil pump marks to line up at full throttle?

Banned User
    +1
    No they line up at idle.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Make sure the oil pump arm has not swung around to the wrong side.

The arm should point towards the left side of the engine at idle position. And the marks should align.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Make sure the oil pump arm has not swung around to the wrong side.

The arm should point towards the left side of the engine at idle position. And the marks should align.
    Guess I will pre-mix gas and disconnect pump and see if it runs better. Is there any reason the pump would pump too much oil with marks aligned correctly at idle?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTROCKER View Post
    Guess I will pre-mix gas and disconnect pump and see if it runs better.

Is there any reason the pump would pump too much oil with marks aligned correctly at idle?
    Confirm that this is a carburetor engine, not fuel injected.

Has this engine been run at speed on the water since the rebuild? If not, there may be excess oil inside the engine which will get burned off during the first few minutes of operation under load at speed.

The oil pump at maximum flow is essentially injecting the same amount of oil as premixing at the typical 40:1 ratio, so there would be similar amount of oil going through the engine either way.

The variable rate oil pumps work by reducing oil flow at low throttle openings. If the oil pump arm is on the wrong side or is mis-adjusted then the oil flow will be excessive.

That said, pre-mixed oil ratio is also excessive at low to mid range throttle.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTROCKER View Post
    Guess I will pre-mix gas and disconnect pump and see if it runs better. Is there any reason the pump would pump too much oil with marks aligned correctly at idle?

Why would you do that??????? Just adjust it correctly and run it.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Confirm that this is a carburetor engine, not fuel injected.

Has this engine been run at speed on the water since the rebuild? If not, there may be excess oil inside the engine which will get burned off during the first few minutes of operation under load at speed.

The oil pump at maximum flow is essentially injecting the same amount of oil as premixing at the typical 40:1 ratio, so there would be similar amount of oil going through the engine either way.

The variable rate oil pumps work by reducing oil flow at low throttle openings. If the oil pump arm is on the wrong side or is mis-adjusted then the oil flow will be excessive.

That said, pre-mixed oil ratio is also excessive at low to mid range throttle.
    It's carb 700. Ran it approx 6 houurs or 11 gals of gas it ran good at first but then seemed to load up after shutdown for a hour or so but then would clear out. It seemed to run worse towards end of 2nd day at lake I replaced plugs at first symtoms as it seemed to run on one cyl then clean out. I have had this ski for 5 years always ran good. Like I say only adjusted oil pump after crank bearings went out and seeing it out of adjustment and thinking maybe it caused the bearing failure. I don't think it could have been lack of oil because it would have seized a piston first. The arm Points to left and now lines up at idle. I moved lower adjustment nuts Approx 3/8 inch down on lower adjustment threads. I question why it was so far out of adjustment all these years with no problems until I moved it to "correct alignment"

+1
    Hmmm, are you sure you are aligning the correct pair of marks?

Ya marks are right.

Thread Information