2000 sv1200 dies

I have a 00 SUV that after about 15-30 min running (on the hose or riding) shuts down. I say shuts down because it shuts off just like you pushed the stop switch. Sometimes it will start right back up but most of the time after that it has really weak spark at all three plugs. Most of the time it has no spark at all for about 30 min or so then weak spark for a while. If you let it sit for a few hours spark returns and the cycle starts all over.

Let me get the obvious stuff out of the way. Battery is fully charged and engine turns free. Compression is good solid of all three cylinders. No code set and nothing on the display. No over temp light displayed only thing on the display at all it "clock". Ohms checked all three coils, wire boots, checked spark with new plugs, plugs in the boot one at a time and held to a good ground, ohms checked pulser coil, charge coil and swapped cdi with another used one. I have checked the stop switch and temp switch.

If i read the schem correctly i should just be able to remove the white and pink wire from the CDI and that should bypass any shutdown measure switch/temp sensor. still nothing. what am i missing? i mean aside from physically checking the stator and flywheel.

+1
    This may sound strange and may not even help at all but would be worth a try. take a single strand 10or12 gauge wire and run it from the ground post on the battery to the ground lug inside the electrical box and see if it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    This may sound strange and may not even help at all but would be worth a try. take a single strand 10or12 gauge wire and run it from the ground post on the battery to the ground lug inside the electrical box and see if it makes a difference.
    I think that was sound advice. I wdoing a peak voltage check and i kept getting a strange reading and while the multi meter was connected everything ran great but when i unhooked it engine started running poor. I took your advice and ran a ground to the elec box and the multi meeter cleared up and so did the engine.

I have an off topic question. Do you recommend a 1.5 needle and seat or the stock 1.2 and what do you set the pop off pressure at?

+1
    I would run the stock needle seat in that ski. those 1200 run awesome without any upgrades in my opinion.

as far as the pop-off pressure i cant remember wright off hand but set the last one i did on 50 psi.

Thread Information