Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 polaris slh

So i have this ski, new to me, still going through it replacing fuel lines, plugs, wires, carb rebuild, battery. But im worrying myself sick with all this talk about ignition upgrades, and cdi issues. I dont know if the ski will have issues with any of that just yet. But ive been researching and i cant find an absolute answer on if this ski has those issues. And with parts becoming scarce, this makes me even more nervous. Can anyone tell me if i should prepare myself for any certain issues. Should i be searching for any specific parts to have on hand. Much Appreciated.

2001 polaris slh 700cc

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Don't worry so much!

The 2001 engines already have the Gen III ignition system, so no update kit is needed.

If you really want to have spare parts on hand then they are still findable.

What a relief. Still not in the clear though. I just don't want to look like an
    idiot to my friends and family. Took it out for the water test and everything was great! Jumped right out of the hole, didn't stumble a bit. Made the deal. Took It out the following day, hit the throttle and she fell on her face. Opened up the compartment, and my dumbass left the cap off the flush, and Ofcourse it was aimed right at the carb. I shouldn't have been in such a hurry to get her in the water. So I'm hoping a carb cleaning, new lines, and fuel will fix it. But I also worry because my buddy stuck his hand in there and got shocked from a cracked plug wire. So I'm hoping that didn't damage any components, and it really kind of seems like a cylinder is down more than a carbon issue. But I'm really hoping its one of these relatively simple repairs. Holding my breath.

Banned User
    +1
    Should be simple. Get everyhing cleaned and dried out. As far as the ignition systems go, I think a lot of people fry them trying to jump start the skis because of a dead battery.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ImHitch View Post
    What a relief. Still not in the clear though. I just don't want to look like an
    idiot to my friends and family. Took it out for the water test and everything was great! Jumped right out of the hole, didn't stumble a bit. Made the deal.

Took It out the following day, hit the throttle and she fell on her face. Opened up the compartment, and my dumbass left the cap off the flush, and Ofcourse it was aimed right at the carb. I shouldn't have been in such a hurry to get her in the water.

So I'm hoping a carb cleaning, new lines, and fuel will fix it. But I also worry because my buddy stuck his hand in there and got shocked from a cracked plug wire.

So I'm hoping that didn't damage any components, and it really kind of seems like a cylinder is down more than a carbon issue. But I'm really hoping its one of these relatively simple repairs. Holding my breath.
    Check cylinder compression. If you got enough water into a cylinder it may have partially hydro locked.

Consider replacing the damaged ignition wires. You want things to be reliable.

O yes, im absolutely replacing the wires and plugs. How may water have gotten in the cylinder? Is there a remedy?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ImHitch View Post
    ?.. How may water have gotten in the cylinder? Is there a remedy?
    You said the water from the flush fitting was aimed at the engine air intake. When the engine is running at speed there is air suction into the engine. If water is spraying at the intake then water can also get sucked into the engine.

If the engine continued to run then by now I would expect the water is long gone.

However, water does not compress like air does. If you got enough water sucked into the engine in rapid fashion then it is possible for a piston to partially hydro lock and that extreme mechanical stress can crack or damage the piston.

If the engine had fully hydro locked it would have stopped spinning instantly and damage would be almost certain.

Ok yea, the motor runs, just doesnt get up out of the hole... seems like it gets stuck at a certain rpm. which makes me think that while we were checking the plug wires, we cracked one, so its running on one cylinder.

+1
    Check cylinder compression.

Confirm good spark on all three cylinders.

Confirm it will start with only one cylinder connected (out of the water). Try this with each cylinder. It should run 'equally badly' on any one cylinder.
    Last edited by K447; 08-31-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Method applies to two and three cylinder engines

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Check cylinder compression.

Confirm good spark on all three cylinders.

Confirm it will start with only one cylinder connected (out of the water). Try this with each cylinder. It should run 'equally badly' on all three.
    Well its a 2 cylinder if im not mistaken.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information