newbie with alarm sounding !!!

I just bought first waverunner, a 2001 Yamaha 1200XLT. I had to have the carbs rebuilt because the ski went unused for the past 5-6 seasons. Very first ride an alarm goes off and the gauge reads Exhaust or exhaust temp(don't know which , my son was on the ski) I shut the ski down and restarted it a few minutes later and no problem for the rest of the day. The next day it happened again and I shut the ski down then it ran fine for hours. When I purchased the ski a few smart people told me to put a D plate on the ski to replace the cat but when my mechanic told me the carbs with labor and tune up was going to be a $1,100 I opted to do the D plate and wave eaters in the winter because the ski had only 75 hrs on it. BIG FREAKIN MISTAKE!!!!. Anyway, when I do the D plate will it eliminate the current problem I am having or is this totally different. Does anyone know what I can do to check to see if its just a bad sensor or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

+1
    I think when you do the dplate you have to put a resistor in the wire to keep that warning off.

Since its a new ski to you, check to see if there is a water strainer that could be stopped up. Was it peeing well while you were running it?

Overheating could also happen when you get seawee stock in yout grate intake, and you ride the ski with it there. The pump won't get as much water in it and it will overheat the engine very quickly. But that is something that you will feel. the ski will shake pretty bad.

water was shooting up if its that what you mean. I don't know where there are strainers on the waverunner, will have to investigate

+1
    The water shooting up through hole in back swim platform has nothing to do for cooling. Its just there for safety

Re: newbie with alarm sounding !!!

yeah on each side more twords the front are 2 pissers if u have garden hose adapter run it with motor running and see if it squirts. if not try quick blips of throttle

Thread Information