Point Pleasant, New Jersey, United States

2005 GP800r taking on water!!!

Hi, I was out on my 2005 Yamaha GP800r for approximately 45 min to an hour yesterday when all of a sudden the engine began sounding muffled and although i was applying pressure to the throttle and the rpm's increased the ski would not move much faster than idle speed. I turned the ski off and managed to swim it over to the shore. I noticed a large amount of water in the hull. I would say hull was about halfway filled. I contacted sea tow and they responded and pumped out the water and towed me to a ramp, having to continuously pump out water as we were being towed. Upon closer look, the water is coming in through the two holes in the hull where the water is supposed to drain out of. Once I got the ski back to my house I flushed the engine out with salt away. Should I be worried about any possible damage from the high amount of water that was inside of the hull? Any ideas of what the leaking issue could be?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjmattia View Post
    Upon closer look, the water is coming in through the two holes in the hull where the water is supposed to drain out of.
    huh? Are the srew in plugs there?

Yes the screw plugs are in and the ski ran for about 45 minutes fine with no issues prior. Here is a picture of one of the holes on the inside rear of the hullClick image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	281695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	281695

+1
    Looks like your pic is of the "divider" in back of engine compartment. Those holes allow water to flow to pump to evacuate from hull. Did you put black plastic drain plugs in (back by the exhaust & nozzle) before you dropped ski in water?
    If those were in I would check all my exhaust cooling hoses to see if one split or came loose.
    Try running ski on the hose while on trailer to test hoses. (Please search how to do this if you don't know)

Yes both drain plugs were tightly screwed in. the first thing I checked when we got to land was that they were secured and they were. Ok thanks I will research the cooling hoses. Thanks for your help!

+1
    fill the ski up with a few inches of water while on the trailer.... see if it leaks out. If it does it will be obvious what is leaking.

as far as water damage to the rest of the ski I would not be worried BUT IMO I would want to get the ski back on the water asap as the heat will help dry up anything that should not have been saturated with water (inside of motor)

It could also be your waterbox leaking into the hull (where the exhaust leaves the engine) or a clamp broken that directs the exhaust and cooling water out of the ski. If water is not coming in through the hull, then it could be where exhaust water is leaving the engine near the water box.

Thread Information