2000 gp1200r sounding really sick

Hi guys , I have a 2000 gp1200r when I bought it I put it in the water for a test run for the first time went well , but when you held it flat , after bout 6sec it would die like you are running out of fuel but you would feather the throttle and it would come back good . since then I had the carbies rebuilt and put it back in the water for another test run ran well but when you went near full open throttle again same thing happened just not quite as bad so I experimented a bit and moved the fuel switch from reserve to on and when I did that it just played up like it was running out of fuel (I had about 1/3of a tank of fuel ) so I moved it back to reserve and decided to turn round and head back . By the time I got back it was running pretty Rough btw it died on me once in the water like it ran out of fuel but fired up again . Anyone that has faced the same problem or knows what the problem might be your advise would be incredibally helpful .
    Btw compression is good 115psi dead on on all 3 cyl dead cold and has spark on all 3 cyl too

I've heard the fuel selector switch can sometimes be an issue, but I'd first check the fuel filter.. if that's bad you might have to open the carbs up and check/clean the filters there too. Also check the "flapper" door at the bottom of the tank pickup tube (search for threads on this.. they have pictures).

+1
    What do the plugs look like?

Quote Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
    What do the plugs look like?
    I will pull plugs out Ann's post pic later on tonight but cyl 1 &2 look like the there running on the rich side but plug on cyl 3 looks wierd it's a coffee colour on the porcelain but the outter ring hasn't evened carbonized yet . Which that was why I had the carbs rebuilt in the first place .

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bestie View Post
    Hi guys , I have a 2000 gp1200r when I bought it I put it in the water for a test run for the first time went well , but when you held it flat , after bout 6sec it would die like you are running out of fuel but you would feather the throttle and it would come back good . since then I had the carbies rebuilt and put it back in the water for another test run ran well but when you went near full open throttle again same thing happened just not quite as bad so I experimented a bit and moved the fuel switch from reserve to on and when I did that it just played up like it was running out of fuel (I had about 1/3of a tank of fuel ) so I moved it back to reserve and decided to turn round and head back . By the time I got back it was running pretty Rough btw it died on me once in the water like it ran out of fuel but fired up again . Anyone that has faced the same problem or knows what the problem might be your advise would be incredibally helpful .
    Btw compression is good 115psi dead on on all 3 cyl dead cold and has spark on all 3 cyl too
    remove the fuel pick up and remove the bottom of the pick up and make sure the pick up tube is not bottoming out have seen many that were bottomed out, Also leave the bottom cover on the pick up out do not reinstall.

+1

Yeah cause mine looked like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346366583.338146.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	281793

This was a major pain in the rear to remove. The sender is almost too long to pull out of the tank, Three things that might help:

Literally stand on the gas tank near the spout to give yourself another inch of clearance.

Disconnect the steering linkage to get it out if your way

If any wires are blocking you, disconnect them

7. +1 by:

Re: 2000 gp1200r sounding really sick

is that a IL registration sticker I see?

+1

It might also be an exhaust leak choking off your supply of fresh air. I have seen a blown rear main seal act like this. I agree with others, though, about fuel delivery.

-Greg

+1

Quote Originally Posted by hoffmanestates View Post
    is that a IL registration sticker I see?
    Yep. Trying to make it Fox Lake Monday if the weather cooperates. That place shouldn't be that crowded on Labor Day...😏

+1

Make sure the boot between the stinger and exhaust isn't leaking. It might look fine on the hose, but mine was squirting water everywhere on the water. As speed increases so does water pressure. So it ran fine at half throttle or so but choked at wot. In my case it was spraying water into the #2 carb.

Thread Information