Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stranded again, Virage txi problem back

After installing a new rubber exhaust pipe life was good, ski ran great, loads of power all was well. So much for the thrill, its broke again. Exhaust pipe melted and ski stopped running. Knowing the problem I took off the pipe to get back to shore but the ski would not make any power. { seat off }
    At home I ran some tests, fuel pressure good, spark good, compression 120psi. Seems to back fire slightly and center cylinder gets very hot. PTO and MAG are cool to the touch. Changed EMM no differance. Any help would be great.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Melted exhaust hose means the Exhaust water injection is clogged or a hose is kinked.

Remove and clean the mesh filter screen and make sure the orifice is clear at both ends of that short rubber hose loop.

K447, If you recall I repaired all water lines and installed a pee tube out the side of the hull while also leaving the factory exit intact. I can now see water from the pee tube as I drive, water flow is not the problem. Any idea why center cylinder gets hot quickly while pto, mag stay cool to the touch? The mesh screen was removed by the 1st owner and I can not locate a new one. Is the factory fitting without the screen not allowing water to flow correctly? Also, slight back fire and will not rev or power correctly. Did swap EMM and did not help.

Banned User
    +1
    Did you check the orifice screen in the pipe??? Thats what he is referring to. You have to remove it from the pipe and check it. I am sure thats the problem. you will see water from the pisser whether that is clogged or not. If you are not getting water into the pipe, thats why you are melting hoses.

Did some more tests and fixed the miss / low power, pto and mag plugs had weak spark, changed plugs and all seems to be ok. I have checked the orifice at both ends and they have always been clean{mesh has been removed by 1st owner} I am concerned that the mesh has been removed and may not allow for proper water intake for cooling. Is the mesh really important for cooling the exhaust? As always thanks for the help, like most of us I juggle many daily tasks and have little time to spend in the garage working on toys.

Banned User
    +1
    The screen keeps particles from clogging the orifice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    The screen keeps particles from clogging the orifice.
    Just to be sure we are talking about the correct mesh screen and orifice, see this post;
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?p=757870

Also, see the video near the bottom of this web page;
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....jected-engines

Yes, that is the part. The 1st owner of my 2 skis had removed the screens for what ever reason and I have been unable to locate new ones. I have not found the orifce to be plugged on either skis. My thought on the melted exhaust pipe is only one looked to be in excellent condition while the other had some bubbles from heat damage, that is the one that failed. I fabed a steel pipe and rapped it with header rap to protect the bottom of the seat from heat, looks like a cool aftermarket pipe.

+1
    You need to get water cooling into that exhaust! One way or another, it must be made to work. Just wrapping the exhaust hose/pipe with insulation does not help keep the water box or other exhaust parts cool. Excess heat can burn the hull or melt other hoses.

Is the small rubber hose between the orifice nipples kinked or clogged?

Did you check the nipple at the other end of the small water hose for blockage?

That orifice part is available either new from Polaris OEM parts suppliers or used. Should not be hard to find one. Make sure you get the correct part number.

I am suspecting that your watercraft had a problem with insufficient exhaust water cooling with the previous owner and they attempted to 'fix' the problem by removing the mesh screens. That suggests that you need to take a holistic approach and methodically work through every portion of the cooling system until you find out why the exhaust is not getting water injection flow.

Something is wrong somewhere. Do not assume any existing hose connection is in the correct location or that any existing hose is undamaged. An internal collapse or kink can reduce water flow. A hose hooked up to the wrong fitting can cause problems.

Start with the water feed from the jet pump (down low on right side when standing behind the watercraft) and follow the hose flow. The water feed does NOT go to the thermostat housing.

That hose goes to the bottom of the exhaust manifold. All hoses have been removed and checked for blockage, even the fitting at the exhaust port was checked. My other ski is fine and I performed the same checks and mods spelled out on your threads. Could it be a over fueling issue? Also, when I removed the melted pipe out on the lake, while driving back to shore I could look down inside the exhaust manifold and see water spray/mist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information