Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Holeshot bog and plug colors...

So I had the carbs rebuilt and FA's added, ran perfect, but just got her back running again after discovering a water leak from the stinger/exhaust boot that was shooting into the #2 carb/FA from what I think is a high pressure situation in the cooling system. I'm going to do a bypass setup with a jetworks valve.

Anyway, she's running great now, but I tried a few idle to WOT launches and she bogged. Sounded like an old car with a dead battery, just made this terrible grunting sound between 2-3k rpms. This only happens when I punch the throttle from idle. Performance elsewhere is wonderful to 7100 and 65 mph. If I go even a little slower then punching it, it's fine. Highs are at 1, Lows are at 1 1/2.

Also, the plugs aren't used to what I'm seeing. In the past the plugs were a slightly wet tan color, now they're white/very light gray and dry. I was running between 6 and 7k rpm's at 1/2 - WOT most of the time (average was prob 3/4). When I look plugs up online they say that's normal, but it's just not what I'm used to seeing.

Maybe because I was in the upper rpm ranges for the most part?

I've been at 40:1, do I need to increase to 32:1?

Thanks!

+1
    Grey is very bad. Thats detonation.

+1
    Ok, Ill post a pic of them later to verify.

Sounds lean. I would figure it out before I rode it more.

Quote Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
    So I had the carbs rebuilt and FA's added, ran perfect, but just got her back running again after discovering a water leak from the stinger/exhaust boot that was shooting into the #2 carb/FA from what I think is a high pressure situation in the cooling system. I'm going to do a bypass setup with a jetworks valve.

Anyway, she's running great now, but I tried a few idle to WOT launches and she bogged. Sounded like an old car with a dead battery, just made this terrible grunting sound between 2-3k rpms. This only happens when I punch the throttle from idle. Performance elsewhere is wonderful to 7100 and 65 mph. If I go even a little slower then punching it, it's fine. Highs are at 1, Lows are at 1 1/2.

Also, the plugs aren't used to what I'm seeing. In the past the plugs were a slightly wet tan color, now they're white/very light gray and dry. I was running between 6 and 7k rpm's at 1/2 - WOT most of the time (average was prob 3/4). When I look plugs up online they say that's normal, but it's just not what I'm used to seeing.

Maybe because I was in the upper rpm ranges for the most part?

I've been at 40:1, do I need to increase to 32:1?

Thanks!
    40 to 1 should be fine with a good oil.

When you change from the restrictive stock intake to flame arrestors the engine will breathe a lot better - lots more air. Which means you need to rejet. If you did not then that could readily explain why you are running lean.

+1

They were rejetted properly. I was thinking it might be lean as well. Pulling the carbs is such a pia. Can I just put water socks over them? That should richen it up, but is that enough?

+1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346368989.681053.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	281804

+1
    I'm having the same exact problem,I installed flame arrestors and set to the recommended settings and still pulling white plugs,I have jetted up a size and even opened the highs to 3 turns and still the same results,I even tried lowering popoff to 50psi which made it bog down low but still no color on the plugs,I'm stumped cause I don't want to blow it up,after talking to riva they recommended putting in a tee on the return line with a 100 main jet to build pressure to force the fuel,anybody ever had to do this

+1
    You have to jet bigger when you convert to premix as well. pop off only changed low end mixture. Im not a big fan of premix because if your running lean, you don't have enough oil either. just makes it that much easier to blow up. On a better note, Yes those are very white. but they don't seem grey like you said unless its just the lighting

+1
    Luckily you have a triple so there's loads of info for carb settings,unlike my 800 there isn't any info or nobody to help.another trick I heard is to use duct tape and cover up some of the filter to increase carb "signal".I would simply recommend going in the how to section and find the sticky on removing the accelerator pump and use the jetting and settings posted there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information