PWC Cover for Winter Storage

Hi,

Well the season is winding down and I am getting ready to put my 2 boats away for the winter. I have used a tarp for the last 5 years, but they always have mildew in the spring, even if I give them a super cleaning in the fall. It would be nice to uncover them next spring and have them nearly ready to use. I am also looking for something that I can trailer with, and not have to worry that it will rip to shreds on a two hour drive to the lake.

I have been looking on eBay and Amazon, but it is hard to tell what is junk and what might hold up to a winter in Massachusetts.

I have a '96 Sl700 and a '97 Sl1050, what would you guys recommend for a good cover?

Thanks,
    Tim in Mass

Banned User
    +1
    i think being outside shrink wrapped, tarp, oem cover it will always mildew. no garage, barn, fairgrounds, or storage?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Personally I love the oem covers. Trailer well, fit perfect, look good, vent well and hold up to snow. I always end up tarping them as well.

Banned User
    +1
    I use my covers and then a tarp over the covers. Make sure everything is good and dry inside and out before you tarp it.

+1

Re: PWC Cover for Winter Storage

They make battery powered dehumidifiers for use in gun safes, stick a couple of those under the tarp and one inside the hull? What about baking soda boxes like for closets and fridges. Don't those dehumidify as well?

Also, try to uncover then often and let then breath on sunny days?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonrider10022 View Post
    They make battery powered dehumidifiers for use in gun safes, stick a couple of those under the tarp and one inside the hull? What about baking soda boxes like for closets and fridges. Don't those dehumidify as well?

Also, try to uncover then often and let then breath on sunny days?
    The first step is to completely dry out the hull interior.

Once the exhaust water box has been blown clear by burping the throttle, most of the remaining water will be inside the hull. Tip the nose up high and let the hull drain. Let it air dry as much as possible with the seat off and the storage bucket removed, hood propped open.

Use a sponge to mop up liquid water, or try Bryan's suggestion with a wet/dry shop vacuum.

If the seat itself is waterlogged then it will take a LONG time to dry out. Try standing it on end and look for water weeping out.

Dry out all the stuff from the storage bucket. Ropes, etc. Open up the fire extinguisher container and let that air dry.

There are effective dehumidifier products sold at marine stores for boats, usually a plastic tub or can of absorbant with a venting lid. These have the ability to absorb a lot of moisture from the air, but they cannot keep a wet hull dry.

Banned User
    +1
    I vacuum the water out and let it air dry with the seat off for a day or 2.

All,

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I do use a vac and suck out the water and leave the covers open until it is bone dry, but I still have mold on the hull and seats in the spring. I don't have anywhere to keep it inside like a barn, and my garage is already filled with a car, tractors, minibikes, etc. I think I will still get some covers on ebay; I will take my best guess at the one that looks the least worst... I may take the seats in the for the winter, as I think I could find a spot on top of one of my many piles to park 'em for a few months, that way I won't have to clean them in the spring.

Regards,
    Tim in Mass

Thread Information