1999 polaris slx: few questions

I just rebuilt my carbs with the kits from SBT. When i started the ski alot of white smoke comes out from the exhaust and also seems like its idling high (my mfd is out of my ski so i can see what RPMS) what are the proper settings for the low screws (what is the starting point when you count the turns?) Also out of the kit i used the medium size spring (is this correct? was similar to the one i replaced) Also i noticed the accel pump isnt squirting in to the carbs (never rode the ski but only see it working once when i bought it last month) The diaphram looks alil worn, where can i buy a new kit? Also is the oil automaticlly gonna flow into the carbs, or do i have to bleed it?(if so how do i accomplish this) Last and final thing for now, i know the hose doesn't supply good cooling but the center and pto cylinder was hotter then the mag(the mag was cool to touch). If all these question were answered in previous threads, i am sorry, but i have this sitting for a month now and wanna use it before it gets cold in NY.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    excessive oil smoke could be the oil pump cable is slack from the oil pump lever flipping over.1 3/4 turns out on the lows i beleieve,sometimes the accl pump will take a while to prime.or you could use a screw driver to fully depress the accl pump shaft into the housing a couple times and see if that helps

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    When running on the hose it matters whether the thermostat and pressure bypass valve are in place or not.

If either or both are absent then the water exit hose from the thermostat must be clamped off when using the reverse flush garden hose connection. This forces all the water to actually flow in reverse direction through the engine.

What is my starting point for the turn?. Does the needle have yo be screwed all the way in, and then 1 3/4 turns. Out?

+1
    Needles should be screwed all the way in, lightly seated so as not to damage the needle. Then start turning the screw out from there...

so after taking everyones advice, the ski is running and staying cool while hooked up the hose.

If i turn the needle outs a lil more will this make the mixture leaner?

Once again i bought the ski last month and this is the 1st time its been running a in year.

When running a lot of blue smoke is coming out. I know 2 strokes are common for this, but if the screws are out further will this clean up some of the smoke?

Please take a look at the video and recommend what my next step should be (i will be getting some new plugs next week) I do apologize for the video lay out.

Last edited by K447; 09-02-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    As the carburetor adjustment screws are turned out there is more fuel allowed through that circuit in the carb.

The carb screws will not affect the amount of (blue) oil smoke. If the engine has not yet been run in the water at speed there could easily be an accumulation of oil in the engine that needs to get burned off. If you still have a smoke problem after the engine is warmed up and been run with a load then we can investigate.

Is this engine running premix or is the factory oil injection system still operational?

The the factory oil injection is still operational, i would't doubt its just oil build up but just wanted to make sure. Alot of carbon built up has came out from the exhaust. In a couple of weeks hopefully i will be able to put enough load on the machine to see it has burnt off the oil. Also stated before, is there a rebuild kit for the accep pump? some of the rubber coating has came off from the back and some spots are like a screen now. Thanks for all your help so far

Thread Information