Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

95 X1 runs fine for 10 min then bogs down

I am working on a 95 X1. It runs fine but after about 10 minutes in the water it bogs down. When it is pulled out of the water it will rev right back up. I am thinking there is a clog somewhere and the water is choking the motor. Any ideas where to look?. There seems to be a steady stream from the pisser when run out of the water with a hose hooked up.

+1
    Run it with the seat off and look for an exhaust leak. Also, try loosening the gas cap when it starts to bog to see if there is a problem with fuel tank venting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Run it with the seat off and look for an exhaust leak. Also, try loosening the gas cap when it starts to bog to see if there is a problem with fuel tank venting.
    I'm going to dig into it this coming week. The owner did say the rubber boot off the exhaust manifold wss leaking a little.
    Last edited by silver93t; 08-31-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo

+1
    If the cooling ports in the exhaust are plugged with dirt, the lack of water will burn the rubber. So, if you find the rubber burned, fix the real problem when you replace it.

+1
    No burnt rubber in the exhaust. I found that the 2 piece coupler between the exhaust manifold and muffler was leaking. I replaced both the inside and outside rubber coupler, the gaskets, the 2 seals, and all the hardware in there with oem parts. I also pulley apart the waterbox and found a decent amount of sand and corrosion in there. I cleaned it out and resealed it. I also replaced the two water hoses that connect to either side of the muffler. One is a short piece, the other is longer and goes to a fitting on top of the waterbox. I found the 90 degree fitting next to the battery where the bilge hoses connect was cracked and replaced that as well.

I ran the ski today for about 20 min. All was great until the very end of the run when I finally experienced the bog down. At first it felt like I lost a bit of power and the rpms dropped from about 7000 to 6000. After a few more minutes the ski really started bogging down so I returned to shore. Popping off the seat and looking around, I found the motor and the metal box where all the electronics are to be hot to the touch. Neither my 1100 Raider for GP1200R ever seem to get hot to the touch when running with water. Any ideas where to look next?
    Last edited by silver93t; 10-05-2012 at 05:40 PM.

+1
    Just to clarify its a 95 750 Xi Super Sport.

It sounds to me like you are running out of fuel. Has the fuel filter been changed lately and if it has were the two filter screens cleared that are in the carbs?

+1
    Doubt its fuel related. I am pretty convinced it is a water flow problem. The motor runs fine off a hose but after riding for a bit in the water the engine gets super hot. There is some kind of sensor that the water goes through before it goes into the head. Going to check that next.

+1
    If it's getting too hot to touch, it's overheating. Better run a compression test to see if damage was done.

Check the water supply hose from the pump. You may have to remove the head and check for trash around the cylinders.

+1
    It definitely got hot. I could touch the motor but i wouldnt want it any hotter. Im betting there is an overheat safety as it felt like the power wss electronically killed. Once it cools off it runs fine again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information