Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Sooooo, i found out why my super charger belt snapped

So i took on the task of replacing the snapped belt myself on my 09 260x with only 64hrs which went pretty well....with the right tools, 12 pack of yuengling & the help of a buddy we got it done within 2.5 hrs, pretty much winging it...Anyways i got it all back together last nite and when i was running it with the hose attached i noticed the BRAND NEW TIGHT BELT would flap. so i ran it for about 10 more seconds scratching my head wondering if i was seeing things and then i saw it again when i tapped the throttle. i instantly turned it off and watched the super charger pulley cock sideways, i was RELIEVED i shut her down in time. so i took it apart tonight and this is what i found......the super charger cone snapped flush with the base of the flange.

im sure I'm not the only one but does anyone have a idea on WTF caused this.....i just bought the ski a few months ago, odometer reads 64 hrs and there is odd rust in places, as you can see.

1 thing i found rather weird is the belt i used which is a stock kawi belt was very hard getting on....I'm saying pretty much had to pry it on - not sure if that is normal, i compared my belt tension to my buddies 07 250 which i have on the trailer next to it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	281824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	281825  

Banned User
    +1

Sooooo, i found out why my super charger belt snapped

That is some piss poor maitnece on that ski. Belt is always real tight putting it on then loosens once u start motor.
    The snout snapped due to most likely ether the previous owner trying to get the pulley off and could not and cracked it. Or by you guys prying the belt on. You can buy the billet R&d one to replace it but you need to look into a new pulley as that ones in terrible shape and will lead to another broken belt. Also who bent the dampener all up ? That's destroyed as well and you can not buy that part seprately your looking at 500$ for new pulley and dampener as there sold as a set.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Well he did say they had 10+ beers and fixed it....
    Lol...

hahah ok ok we had the help of 1 other bud for the beers.

but as far as the dampner being damaged, im not sure what happened there, when my belt snapped in the bay i found a rubber grommet looking thing in the bottom of the hull and didnt know where it came from until last night when i got the dampner off missing one of the rubber pucks. in addition to that i found the supercharger dampner bolt head stripped and had to use an easy out to get it out. so this leads me to believe the dampner actually broke on the water just bc of the mysterious puck found in the bottom of my hull, but hey im a quad guy so i can be wrong. i already located the 1 and only pulley setup at jetski of orlando - other than that i would have to order it in. does anyone know where i can possibly get an aftermarket setup which wouldnt be the $500 with shipping ill have to pay.

also fire, is the R&D billet snout same size as OE and can i use an OE pulley/dampner set up on it.

thanks again

i also discovered an easy way to remove the SC pulley bolts without using a pulley holding tool.....use a strap wrench to hold the pulley once the belt is off

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    That is some piss poor maitnece on that ski. Belt is always real tight putting it on then loosens once u start motor.
    The snout snapped due to most likely ether the previous owner trying to get the pulley off and could not and cracked it. Or by you guys prying the belt on. You can buy the billet R&d one to replace it but you need to look into a new pulley as that ones in terrible shape and will lead to another broken belt. Also who bent the dampener all up ? That's destroyed as well and you can not buy that part seprately your looking at 500$ for new pulley and dampener as there sold as a set.
    Are you calling out the maintainence because of the rust? What should have beem done? I use Fluid Film and have been careful to not spray around the belt area. Am i making a bigger mistake not doing so?

so i located a R&D billet snout kit at riva....how difficult is it to install that using the alignment tool & shim kit supplied, any pointers

Banned User
    +1

Sooooo, i found out why my super charger belt snapped

It's not difficult at all unbolt the old one bolt on the new one. I hope you ordered a belts tension tool as well as its needed to set proper tension.
    As for the pulley the only solution would be going to a 1-1 pulley but you still need a dampener and other mods to support the 1-1 and no one sells just the dampener So you will need to bite the bullet unless you can find a dampener used If yours was not all bent up you could of repaired it. I have good used oem pulleys but no dampeners if u want to buy the pulley 50$ let me know. And see if you can find a used dampener somewhere. As for the rust was it that way when you bought it. You need to wash the engine bay down much more thoughrly after rides to prevent all that rust going on. Good luck

yeah thats how it was when i bought it, i WD the ish outa the ski before, after & between rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisu1 View Post
    but as far as the dampner being damaged, im not sure what happened there
    That's typical on hard/abusive riding, like not letting off the throttle when getting air borne. The rotational shock transmitted from the engine to the s/c pulley is absorbed by the black rubber dampers. As they wear out the clearance between the damper and its cup becomes greater and the cup eventually deforms and the damper gets broken off at the base and falls off. When the dampers retire like that, the next thing goes out is the belt itself.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information