Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    i hate my bipolar disorder its great
    +1

Head Rebuilding, what to do while im there!

Common knowledge that the early 4-tech heads arnt great, 2004 spec im talking due to rusty ol exhaust valves.

anyway im planning on taking action against this issue before one breaks.
    how ever whats the go parts wise, what should i do while im there, what gaskets are needed, what bolts can you reuse and which ones can you not.
    is it worth getting the valve seats ground? replacing the valve guides? replacing valve stem seals?
    how much of a gain are the over size ferra valves vs standard size.

atm im looking at set of ferra valves, supertech springs and retainers.
    and obviously a headgasket
    im considering installing a block guard
    what about valve locks?(valve retainers)

does the above sound like a reasonable set-up?
    not really interested in a cam, just due to cost

my ski is a 2004 rxp with 125hrs, standard ecu.
    Et-137, fizzle cooler,4" rear air, 42lbs, reg, gutted & cutdown water box with a riva thru hull on its way rear exhaust( free flow atm )
    4rad exhaust spacer sitting here
    also the above will open me up too a retune and limiter increase thinking either 8800rpm or 9200rpm
    and shooting for 80mph
    prop is solas 15/22 running R&D intake grate, R&D steering nozzle, Riva 2" pump extention
    speed freaks nose cone, deleted opas and a modified closed loop ride plate

im guessing larger injectors 50lbs will be required... and maybe a fuel pump no big issue.

heres how she sounds with my buddy riding it... with a 14/19 lol

any advice would be great on the head or anything else towards my set up cheers tom

+1
    Hey bro, I would replace the head bolts and rocker shaft bolts. Head bolts can be re-used if in spec, but manual says to change rocker bolts every time (although I re-used mine). It might be worth considering arp head studs?

Ideally, you will want to resurface the valve seats for the new valves, but if they aren't too bad, it isn't 100% necessary! You would at the very least need to lap the new valves in.
    Definitely change valve stem seals.
    I don't think it would be necessary to go with a block guard and stick with OEM head gasket.
    Regarding the oversize valves, I'm pretty sure the piston valve reliefs need to be modified for clearance or you need an aftermarket piston. Stick with stock size ferreas, they come with single groove valve locks.

sorry to hijack, but should the timing chain be replaced at this time as well? i ask because i'm going to be replacing my valves soon also.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey785 View Post
    sorry to hijack, but should the timing chain be replaced at this time as well? i ask because i'm going to be replacing my valves soon also.
    No.
    but,
    how many hrs you got on it?
    Any previous failures?

about 76 hrs, no previous failures

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    Common knowledge that the early 4-tech heads arnt great, 2004 spec im talking due to rusty ol exhaust valves.

anyway im planning on taking action against this issue before one breaks.
    how ever whats the go parts wise, what should i do while im there, what gaskets are needed, what bolts can you reuse and which ones can you not.
    is it worth getting the valve seats ground? replacing the valve guides? replacing valve stem seals?
    how much of a gain are the over size ferra valves vs standard size.

atm im looking at set of ferra valves, supertech springs and retainers.
    and obviously a headgasket
    im considering installing a block guard
    what about valve locks?(valve retainer)

does the above sound like a reasonable set-up?
    not really interested in a cam, just due to cost
    Sounds like a good plan.
    If it were me;
    Stick with stock size valves and turn the higher rpm. High rpm is where it's at
    I wouldn't bother with the block guard, could cause you trouble if ill fitted.
    upgrade to some ARP head studs. (Cost is not that much more than new bolts).
    Valve locks should come with the valves.
    Get the machine shop to do some mild porting/ clean up.
    You already have an 04 cam in there so leave that, maybe get it lightened.

If your turning it up that much the 08+ SC oiler upgrade is a must (you supply the beer, I have the thead tap and know how) good opportunity for oil pump inspection to.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey785 View Post
    about 76 hrs, no previous failures
    Leave the chain alone I would think.

i hate my bipolar disorder its great
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayers View Post
    Sounds like a good plan.
    If it were me;
    Stick with stock size valves and turn the higher rpm. High rpm is where it's at
    I wouldn't bother with the block guard, could cause you trouble if ill fitted.
    upgrade to some ARP head studs. (Cost is not that much more than new bolts).
    Valve locks should come with the valves.
    Get the machine shop to do some mild porting/ clean up.
    You already have an 04 cam in there so leave that, maybe get it lightened.

If your turning it up that much the 08+ SC oiler upgrade is a must (you supply the beer, I have the thead tap and know how) good opportunity for oil pump inspection to.
    sounds good! i can supply all the beer ur heart desires! iv got couple of places i can take the head where they will look after me.
    do i need to purchase anything to do the oil mod you were talking about last time?
    should be good id imagine not next weekend the one after its all coming to bits, gotta try out this pump extension! hopefully tomra after work... still got ur tools too man!
    i dont think ill bother with getting internals lighted i have no idea how anyone would ever tell the difference ever

+1
    sounds good! i can supply all the beer ur heart desires! iv got couple of places i can take the head where they will look after me.
    do i need to purchase anything to do the oil mod you were talking about last time?
    should be good id imagine not next weekend the one after its all coming to bits, gotta try out this pump extension! hopefully tomra after work... still got ur tools too man!
    i dont think ill bother with getting internals lighted i have no idea how anyone would ever tell the difference ever
    Subscribed. I just picked up an 05 and will most likely be doing all this over the winter too!

I think getting the cam lightened is more of a balancing/performance enhancement right?

+1

Just the parts for the oiler mod. They are like $20 in the OE Store and you will need a new PTO gasket.

Lightening is about the safety factor with the high rpm. The shop that does the head might be able to do it. I have one if you want to see where its been ground. Just more dollars and prob not necessary though.

Tools are cool I know your not going anywhere mate. Talk soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information